• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wireless fence

adamr

One of my hunting buddies has a trained 2yr old lab he paid 2000 for this fall the problem is he lives out in the country and doesnt want to kennel it. He loves it when he can just go outside and the dog greats him. But macy wonders out past the farm onto the road shes going to get hit. Someone told me about a wireless fence but it only had a range of 80 ft does any know of one about 180 ft or have any other ideas?

I have the wireless fence from PetSafe. The diameter is adjustable. 180 feet dia is the biggest.

However, you can use multiple transmitters if you want a larger diameter. I've done this and it works real well. The collar will pick up the strongest signal and give the dog a lot more room to roam.

I have an Invisible Fence brand fence. I have had it for 20+ years already, and it has never left me down. Out of the gate they are expensive but in my case it averages out to very little per year.

My unit would be capable of securing 7 acres. I am guessing by now they have other offerings that would fit you perfect. I like the Invisible Fence from the stand point of being able to adjust the width of electrical field and having the lifetime warranty on the transmitter if lightening would ever hit it. A call to them would also bring out one of their technicians if need be.

The discouraging part of any of these types of systems is that after spending the money on one, and installing and training your dog, it doesn’t prevent other dogs from entering your yard.

WS

I have a GunDog brand fence I bought from a store that rymes with hills peet arm. It works great and if I remember correctly it will work up to 100 acres. It does require you to install wire but you can do that yourself its not hard. I would recommend buying a better quality wire than comes with the kit because the wire that comes with the kit is quite cheep. Once you have a invisible fence you will wonder how you ever got but without it. Its nice being able to let the dogs out the door and know they are staying in the yard, because even the best trained dog may "forget" to say in the yard and how bad would you feel to find your friend and hunting buddy dead on the road. Belive me the small investment of a fence wouldn't be a issue when your picking up your dead friend.

DieselDan

I've got the Petsafe wireless fence with 2 transmitters. Love it and its portable. Had to replace 1 collar but have over 8 years on the other. My only complaint is the collar doesn't warn you when the battery is dying. I always know though when I come home and my lab is playing with the neighbor kids.

I have the exact same issue Adam, and a friend of mine who was a professional dog trainer recommended one of the new wireless units. I'm just starting to look into them.

Evidently, you can centrally place a transmitter and adjust the radius (or diameter?) of the area you want your dog to roam. Once he/she reaches the inner edge of the perimeter it will give em' a tap. If they go out further it'll give em' a little stronger tap, until they reach the outer edge of the perimeter where they will be given a stern shock.

I'm told, with this system, you hardly have to do any training. The dog will quickly learn the system on their own.

I too want our dog to happily run around the yard. I just don't want him on the road. I know our neighbors would never intentionally hit our dog, and the fact that we live on a corner, where cars have to slow down to make the turn, is a huge help to prevent the dog from getting hit. However, I always worry about some car full of punk kids out joy riding who think it would be funny/cool to intentionally run over our dog.

Again, I'm told these units have a fairly small perimeter setting, something like 100-150 ft or so, but no wires, or anything, and they're portable, which may make for a good device in the field while hunting? I believe they start at around $350 and run all the way up to $1000. I'm going to look into them further on-line today.

Looking for a good reliable brand one that I can use in my back yard. Maybe 30 yards wide by 40 yards deep at the largest.

Ant brands out there for a bit less that will get the job done in my smaller area in the back yard?

Dog likes to run a bit and I do not trust her all the time on her own unless she is tied to a cable with a screw in stake.

I would like to let her run free in the back yard with being tied down.

Thanks for any direction in regards to a good brand.

With the PetSafe wireless system yes, you put the transmitter somewhere and set the range. Max range is 180 ft dia (90 feet radius). If you want a bigger area you can get seperate transmitters and put them where you want them. The diameters of the range over lap and the collar takes the strongest signal. The collar strength is adjustable from just a beep, to one heckuva shock, and 6 points in between. As the dog gets to the boundry, the collar will beep. If the dog passes the boundry the dog will get at what ever level you have the collar set at. Unlike the buried wire systems, the collar will continue to shock. It stops for a bit so the dog can get it's bearings, then starts up again until it's back inside the boundry.

As with anything there is training involved. It really depends on how smart you dog is. Set up some white flags around the boundry, put the collar on beep, and walk your dog to the boundry so it can hear the beep.....and immediately pull the dog back into the boundry so the beep stops. After they recognize this, put the collar on the lowest setting (it's more of an annoyance than a shock) and do the same. If the dog doesn't back up when the collar beeps it will get a low grade shock, pull the dog back and give him a scratch. Then, turn the collar to what ever level you think is needed. I have a very very very big dog so mines set pretty high, although it really doesn't need to be. If the dog is halfway trainable, getting it to know it's boundry is really simple. Couple days and they have it down.

These are no good for hunting. The transmitter needs to be plugged in to 110v and is about the size of a bowling ball. They're portable tho so if you go to grandma and grandpas place you can set it up there.

This is only the Pet Safe system I have. I'm not sure aboot the others. I can say this much, it made one heckuva difference in my dog. If you've ever met Jeffrey you'll understand.