• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Nils Master Auger Owners

blackdog1101

I got my Nils Master auger for Xmas 2011 and love it. I like how light it is, easy to start, and fast cutting. However, I seem to have a problem getting the plastic cover over the blades. No matter what I do it doesn't seem to go on well. I can get one side to hold, but on the other side the rubber band never seems to hold, and before long the whole cover is kittywompus. Those blades are sharp! I can't tell you how many times I've nicked my fingers on the blade trying to get the blade covered, and end up with a bloody finger. It happened again last night, no biggie, but it's a nuicance when you're packing up your stuff.

So what am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing here? I hate to say that I'm not smart enough to put on a stupid blade cover, but maybe that's the case. wink

I'd really like to give the Nils an honest try but I can't get past the baby blue auger. Esox, tell them to make them in black. I think sales will grow exponentially. I'm also one who didn't care for the otter ice blue camo but guess what color Otter Thermal Lodge is sitting in my garage now. Baby blue is just not my idea of horsepower, speed and reliablility. Kind of strange I guess

Not interesed in being on anyones pro staff, someday something better may come along and I wouldnt want to be tied down and not be able to try out new stuff...Whatever I recomend is from using it and from past ownership/use and spending my own money on...

I got my Nils Master auger for Xmas 2011 and love it. However, I seem to have a problem getting the plastic cover over the blades. No matter what I do it doesn't seem to go on well. I can get one side to hold, but on the other side the rubber band never seems to hold, and before long the whole cover is kittywompus. So what am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing here? I hate to say that I'm not smart enough to put on a stupid blade cover, but maybe that's the case. wink

Take a deep breath & relax. I have the same problem, and it isn't the cover, it's you and me!

Make sure the blades press tightly against the "stops" on both sides. Then make sure both rubber binders go over the spiral (one on each side of the auger shaft) and hook tightly.

If that doesn't work, remove the rubber ties, turn the cover 180 degrees and try again. It fits perfectly, but only one way. smile

I get to attach a lot of Nils covers. Getting your finger pinched between the cover and blade is not good. Ask me how I know this. smile Note to self, keep your fingers out of the cover.

Having the auger in an auger rack helps a lot.

It gets the auger up where you can work on it and is secured from moving around while stretching the snubber in place.

I run the snubber like this and they stay on.

full-831-29976-th_nilsbladeguard.jpg

One end of the snubber stays attached to the guard and you route the snubber.

You could do a 180 on the blade too but the idea is the route the snubber under the fin.

Them Nils sound really dangerous.

I'm going stick with my faster safer Solo/Lazer.

Drilled thousands and thousands of holes with a Lazer and never even got close to cutting myself.

You could always bring the auger in to have it painted!!!

"Oh, it's dark and there's a half inch of ice on the blades and you just splashed water from your minnow bucket onto your fingers? So sorry."

I hate to say it, but in my mind this is a design flaw on Nils part. They produce a product made to be used in sub-zero temps, but expect the user to have nimble fingers, and also determine the right direction, to be able to put on the blade cover?

Nice to know that a Strikemaster product works better on the Nils than a Nils-made product. frown

After Googling a little I found this on another HSOforum discussing the same problem. I like this solution, you could probably put on the bucket wearing heavy mittens. 2 gallon paint bucket, a little hardware, and a bungy cord.

NilsBladeGuardBucket.jpg

NilsBladeGuardBucket2.jpg

I hold it on with a pair of 1-foot rubber bungee cords. I just drilled a hole near the top on each side of the cover, drilled a hole on either side of the flighting to match the cover holes (flighting holes far enough up so the bungees have to stretch a bit to hit the holes.) Then I bent in the bungee hooks that go on the cover so they can't come off. Easy peasy to mount and unmount it, and it NEVER comes off until I'm ready to take it off.

Dtro had a thread a couple of years ago with a magnet mounting system on here. I just use the original cover and mount it like Surface Tension showed. I've had minimal issues in the 10 plus years I've owned it. It not a great system by any means but not a huge issue. I have the cover come off once dragging it out of the back of my pick up bed.

Just emailed Cold Snap covers this morning, the Nils cover is in production as we speak and is for sale on the HSOforum. I just ordered one. I had tried the magnet idea and my factory cover fit so poor it never did work right.