• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Crank bait rod?

ice-man/vexilar-king

I’m in the market for a new rod for casting deep crank baits. Mainly Largies, but might tackle Brownies once in a while. I’m not after money saving advice but more of what will work best and why (length action ect). Please go into detail reel and line choice if you feel you have the right set up nailed down. I’ve only been doing this for one season and have been throwing a 6XD and a DT 16 the most. I will more than likely be trying a few of the new deeper models after I-cast has highlighted a few.

Shimano Crucial 7'6"medium heavy power medium fast action paired with a Shimano Curado CU200G5 is what I will be using this year.

Bought the rod during last year and bought the reel this year to upgrade from the Diawa Exceler 4.9:1 I used least year.

I used 17lb Seaguar Invizix Fluorocarbon last year, probably going to use braid this year, have not decided.

The lower gear ratio is key, gives you the power to crank those those baits.

I Like moderate or moderate fast actions when throwing cranks, really lets the rod load up when the fish eats your crank.

"Best" is certainly in the eye of the beholder, and depends on what you measure by, but...

I like my Powells an awful lot. In terms of bang for the buck they're an unbelievable rod. Their composite cranking sticks are really exceptional IMHO. I fish deep cranks on weed edges a lot, and the composite has enough responsiveness to snap off weeds, but still have the forgiveness of glass when it comes to keeping fish hooked. Plus they are significantly lighter than some other composites on the market. I've paid a lot more for rods I like a lot less... For deep cranks like Series 5s and 5XD, DT-16s, etc, I use the Composite Cranker from Tackle Warehouse but I suspect their Endurance 775 is very similar. I match it with a Revo Winch (which is about to be replaced by a Lews BB1) and 12# Sunline Sniper FC.

I hear the same kinds of things about the Shimano crankbait rods as well. Just don't have personal experience with them. Hopefully DD will weigh in as I know he likes the Shimano crankbait rods a lot.

I have a 7 foot medium heavy medium fast Shimano Cumara Reaction cranking stick and love it for baits up to the DT 10 size. I think the medium fast action is perfect for fishing around grass because it has enough backbone to rip a bait through weeds but still loads up enough to keep em pinned. If i was mainly throwing DT 16s I would probably step up to a 7'6". I also use a CuradoE5 and 12 pound flourocarbon.

I have a Shimano Compre 7' MH/M-fast crank rod that I've had for several years and never had an issue with it since I just didn't do deep cranks a lot but it was great for the 6-10 foot range cranks.

However, I just upgraded to the above mentioned Powell 755CB Endurance rod. I can't beleive how light it is. Obviously I haven't thrown it yet but I really like the feel. I've always been a Shimano Curado 5 series guy but I picked up the Lews BB1 for the Powell rod. 12 or 14# fluoro for me.

I had the 7'4" st croix mojo bass glass cranking rod. That one was a bit to mushy for my liking especially dt 16 and 6xd baits. I sold it after one season.I know you didn't ask about it but just in case it came onto your radar. I'd stear clear of that rod personally. I think I'm going to try the 7'11" duckett cranking rod with a citica 5.1:1 reel this year. That seems a bit stiffer and it isnt a super thick rod like some of the glass cranking sticks.

Ive got an Avid cranking rod in 7', Heavy, moderate action. I love it for throwing cranks from DT10 on down to really deep divers. I was on the fence about getting the H or MH years ago when I purchased, I think I made the right decision. This rod loads up and tosses baits far but still has the backbone need to pop weeds free at long distances. MH rods are ok but I really prefer the heavy power. I really dont care for glass rods.

I have an older Berkley Air Series ( a 7' 9" that I found in Michigan's U.P.). It's actually from their salmon series, but it's dead on for most cranks. It's not ideal for DT 16's, and the like, but I rarely crank that deep.

Ditto on the Abu Winch. I use 15 or 10lb braid, with 10 or 12 flouro leaders.

Last year I started throwing alot more deeper cranks mainly dt-16's. I tried a few rods and the best one I found was the 7"11 mh fast shimano cumara. You can whip the lures a mile and its really sensitive. I use a curado e5 and 17 lb berkley pro 100% Flouro. T-a-c-k-l-e ware-h-o-use just clearance the last of the black series for like $120 me and my friend's bought 5...

Thats kinda what I had guessed. I just got my Cumara 7'6" MH med fast TC4 rod yesterday. I casted it in the yard a few times and as of now I can say it has the power and action that is desirable for deep and lipless cranks.

I haven't decided yet. I am leaning towards a Ducket cranking rod and o=a Revo Winch.

I have a couple Shimano rods but seldom use them. I often reach for the Croixs & the Loomis.

I am interested in the Powell rods after reading on here. i saw TW had some on sale but they were Purleish, and i don't think I can pull that off.

The purpleish on the powell Endurance is just on the handle and winding checks - it's a water drop pattern that is pretty subtle and actually doesn't look too bad. The rest of the blank is actually really low key - black blank, black wraps on the guides.

The TW Powell Deep Cranker, which is the rod I like a lot, has the same pattern more or less but in a dark red.