• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle or Yetti

bassNspear

Im going to pull the trigger on a fish house here soon, and im debating on these two brands.

yes yetti is a bit more, but all alumin.

ice castle is a better name.

whats your thoughts all. please leave some feed back. Im going to get it fully dressed out and have a 8 x 16

BNS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I knew the answer to that as well. I listen to ice castle horror stories and yetti frame cracking stories and just wonder. Asked a yetti dealer about the cracking tongues and was told it doesn't happen....salesman doing his job I guess. I was told all new ice castle frames will have rhino lining which is a drastic improvement in my opinion! Ice castle is cheaper but the finish work is mediocre? Haven't been able to see a finished out yetti yet- were they better?

I hope to look at one this weekend in Brainerd.

Im not in the market to buy one at the moment, but after doing the research in what I would buy if its a finished house it would be Team Lodge first above any of the others.

Design and craftsmanship are all there and I have yet to hear of anyone breaking them.

I like the frame on the yetties but im not a huge fan of the interior. I have been in a couple new ice castles one was the LOW and the was the Mille Lacs. And I have to say the finish is better in the castle and has improved big time over the years compared to where they were.

I like the frame on the yetties but im not a huge fan of the interior. I have been in a couple new ice castles one was the LOW and the was the Mille Lacs. And I have to say the finish is better in the castle and has improved big time over the years compared to where they were.

Yetti's generally don't come finished, that is done from another private company or you DIY. Really can't judge a Yetti on it's finish, it doesn't make sense.

I am on my 2nd ice castle and have had good luck. Are they made a little cheaper, yes. They all have minor flaws but when these debates come up it seems nobody talks price difference. I guess everybody has money trees out back. For me an ice castle is perfect at that price for the minor flaws they have. Not worth paying at least $5,000 more for a Lodge or Yetti to me. Take good care of it and it will last. I see guys just beat on these things, flying on and off the lake at 30 mph and they are bouncing all over the place, guys overload them with gear. The other thing is I think you hear of more issues with ice castles because I would bet by looking around ice castle's have more units on the road than all other Mfg's combined, might even be double of everybody else combined. 20K is a lot of money to spend on a house if you are just going to use it for ice fishing considering the season is maybe 60 days/year if you start up north on LOTW or Red on new years and finish back up there in March. It's a pretty short seasons for wheel houses especially the last few years around the metro or even mille lacs.

I'm a happy Ice Castle owner. It gets me out on the ice fishing in comfort, being able to cook my supper, being able to sleep over if I want. Interior finish is fine, I don't know what people are complaining about - I know I couldn't do that good of a job. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger, the 6.4 x 14 is nice for two people fishing but three is a crowd. But I look at it like a boat, some day I'll sell it and get a bigger one.

Frame is solid but could have used a little better paint job, it is showing rust in a couple of spots - but the way I look at it, I buy my stuff to use, I expect some wear and tear. I also live on a gravel road and a couple lakes I goto are on gravel, gotta expect a little sand blasting.

I'd buy an Ice castle again.

I looked at the Yetti's but by the time I had the dealer finish off the interior, it was lots more money.

The house I should have bought was the one Lip Ripper had for sale a while back!!!

2008 8x20 owner very happy still have it , 2011 8x16 shell finished inside like the 20 for a friend. A good washing in the spring to get the salt off. Yeti will oxidize the first year neighbor has one it looks like s**t from the salt.

If you are looking for better craftsmanship i would go with the Yetti 100%. Ice castle has come a long way, but after comparing them at the MN Ice Show i stand behind my opinion 100%. Performance Engineering also makes a very nice wheel house, and if you are looking for the best.... In my opinion... it would be Custom Cottage. I currently own a performance, but my next one will be a Cottage. they are a bit pricey but after talking with the owner and seeing how they construct them they are bullet proof.

Ice Castles are poorly and cheaply finished. If u can get a shell and finish it yourself or pay someone to do it you would be better off. Which brings means might as well get a Yetti.

If money wasn't an issue I would buy a Lodge.

Yes $12-15K is a lot of money to drop on a fish house. Have you thought about getting one with a rear cargo door? I've used both and the cargo door is better, imo.

The previous owner of my house paid over $30K for it. With no running water and fridge/freezer combo he paid A LOT!!! I guess the guys at Dreamshak just built one for a guy working the oil rig out in ND and hit most every option on a Lake Superior 24 footer, ended up topping $40K!!!

Like others have mentioned there are other good brands out there. Was impressed several years ago with the Performance Engineered houses. Also the King Crow's are nice. Another one worth looking at are Carsella shacks up in Northolm.

Why are a couple rust spots on the frame so bad? Still solid steel underneath. Just needs a little clean up. How much weight savings is there between the two frames? Good luck finding someone to fix your aluminum frame in BFE when the welds fail.

Not bashing either one here just going to giv my 2c. I have owned a Ice castle and yes the fram rusted up pretty bad right away. It was new in 2009. I have since sold it, and dont have a house at this time. I know a real good welding guy from Siox Falls SD that said alum over time gets brittle and the welds start to crack. I would lik a alum hse in the future as my Ice Castle was heavy but am fearful of the alum.

The interiors on Ice Castle were not that great but it is a fishhouse. They may have made some upgrades in quality since mine I dont know as I have not looked at any.

Just do a little reasearch on the aluminum hate to see a big investment fall apart going down the rd. Just my 2c Good luck in your decision.

Just picked up a custom Ice Castle lake of the woods hybrid model. added cedar, rubber floor, ditched the sky lights and its foamed all the way around. Honestly couldnt be anymore satisfied. other than wishing i added more plug ins i dont have a single complaint. craftmanship was top notch.