• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

warm dog house

Looking for a good idea to add a little extra warmth in my dogs house during them really cold days.
I built my lab a new house this last summer, and like always am concerned for her to be comfortable. last year I put straw in her old house, and then she stayed in when it was further down below zero .
The house I built is insulated with that foam stuff like you would use for a ice house the poly whatever, you know the stuff that wont suck up moister.
I was thinking of putting the strawin again this winter, but heard its not good for them becasue it also absorbs moisture.
I also thought of cutting a hole in the cieling and putting in a heat lamp, but that may suck too much juice, plus not sure how good it would work since heat rises anyway.

I just got another lab, but shes only 7 weeks now, and will probably just stay inside this winter, not sure how old they should be before staying out in the cold, but when she starts, the both of them will probably keep each other warm as well.
What do some of YOU do for your dogs?
Right now the house has a 3' x 4' area with a small entryway with the door, is this large enough for 2 dogs, or should I add on?

thanks

Obviously you want to make sure they get along before housing them together. That said, the house you described should be big enough for them. Too big and you lose heat generated by the dogs. If you can keep your dogs from chewing on a door, I'd install one. With my sleddogs, I have to change straw often to keep it from freezing.
Another option is to use a heat pad on the floor. Many people use these when they have a litter in the winter. Most importantly, make sure it is grounded. I've tried electric water dishes and was very glad they tripped the breaker. The dogs didn't chew through it but it the bowl was defective. If you have dogs that chew the foam, you might try putting another layer of plywood inside over the foam. Good luck

------------------
Erik

have YOU heard of straw being bad for them?
How often do you change it?

I have plywood on the inside as well, so wont have to worry about them chewing, also have a good door, one of them "Gun Dog House doors" from Gundog kennel near my home, heavy duty springs, provides a good seel.

Hope they get along, my older one wont leave the little one alone, and the little one has gotten a bit cranky on her already, kind of funny to watch, my older one wouldn't hurt a flea, so she just backs off.

I've heard of some dogs having allergies to straw, I suspect it isn't really straw but some sort of hay. Also, some dogs are allergic to cedar chips. Something to do with the oil in the chips.
I change or add straw everytime the old stuff either gets wet and frozen or when they kick it out of their houses. I don't bother with straw in the warm months. It would get to hot for them. If you think the straw is damp, change it. It can be a pain in the butt, however, it will decrease the amount of mold in the house and keep the floors from rotting. It will help keep your dogs warmer if you elevate the house off the ground. I use 4 x 4's to do this. Just screw the base of the house to them. A house with a lift off or hinged roof helps immensely with cleaning. One more thing, I have drainage holes drilled in the floors of the house. The houses always seem to get wet inside from wet dogs so this helps a bit.
I do need to add that I don't have hunting dogs, just sleddogs. So please take that into account. Hunting breeds might be different than what I'm used to.

------------------
Erik

[This message has been edited by Redlantern (edited 09-01-2003).]

2 dogs = 2 houses and seperate runs. You don't think the big kennels do this just for looks do you? A 7 week old pup should not be in close proximity to an older dog other than its dam until its through with its third set of shots. Sounds like you've got yourself a nice pup Dano looking at the other threads, keep asking ?'s to get it right.

Remember, any bad habits your older dog learned WILL be transferred to the pup. Young dogs learn quickly, especially from the dominant older dog. Kenneling them in the same run may bring out new bad habits. 2 kids always get in more trouble than one alone does.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I've heard that even a 75Watt lightbulb installed in the doghouse will help keep a dog warm during cold winter days, be sure to put a screen around it to keep your buddy from cuddling too close and getting burned.
redhooks

Sorry so long to respond Dano. Working out of town. When a puppy is nursing off of its mother, it is gaining her antibodies. Between the time it is weaned and it is started on shots, it relies on these antibodies to ward off diseases. The kicker is that there many different strains of the same diseases out there that the mothers antibodies can "shift" to defend against while the puppies still immature immune system fails. The third set of shots is usually the considered maturation of a pups immune system.
Dogs need space and alone time just like humans. 2 kennels and runs.