• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Naming a lake etiquette?

MyDogRyder

As I'm relatively new to this site. Thanks to all who have commented on my previous posts. I am just curious what is the general etiquette when asking about suggested fishing spots on specific lakes. Do I name the lake I am having trouble finding fish that way people know what I'm dealing with?

I have always fished with my dad and never really payed attention to where and WHY we fished a spot. Now, on my own, I look at a map, pick a spot and I rarely catch fish. To be honest, I'm starting to lose my interest in it.

Some people just say to fish where everyone else fishes, but I don't like the idea of just pulling up to someone's house and fishing along side them if i don't know then AND they didn't invite me out there with them.

What I really need is a hands on tutoring on some of my local lakes.

Thanks guys, and I cant say enough how much i like this site and its users.

If you feel comfortable naming the lake by all mean do so. As a general rule, I name lakes that are big enough to handle a few extra anglers. I usaly don't give out my specific spots either, just use general locations to help others find similar spots.

A couple unwritten things, and these are all in my opinion as unspecified tendencies are not hard and fast rules for all...

*Don't name spots on lakes under...1,000 acres. I arbitrarily pulled that number after thinking about some of the posts I've seen through the years that have asked for help with spots. Unless it's a really popular lake under that size, it's better to keep things ambiguous since there are so many users and lurkers on these boards.

*Follow trends and fishing reports with attention to depths, presentations, structure, and/or aggression level of the fish. For example What's working for you? or Aitkin Area Fishing Reports. Often times, what's working for others on their respective waterbody will work for you on yours. There are usually patterns of some similarity in the very least.

Lastly, confronted with the reality that you need to start learning some spots, you've got two options as I see it. One, hire a guide and get the hands on tutorial you seek (or find someone in your area willing to take you a time or two as his or her apprentice). Or two, start pulling out the maps, finding spots, cutting lots of holes, and using mobility and process of elimination to find fish. Both ways get you to your end result.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

If you are struggling on a lake that gets some pressure, go ahead and ask for help on the lake. There are lakes in Ottertail/Becker County that have 100's of houses on them, and some as small as 300 acres. If it's a well known spot, ask away and you may be rewarded with a Private Message, or a post that gives you some great insight and information. If you are going to lakes that a buddy told you about, because they were there, I wouldn't mention the name. I've seen 60 acre ponds that have been ruined in 3 weeks, and I've seen 600 acre lakes that got pounded because of a report of nice fish. Most guys are pretty tight lipped on a small body of water, or even larger bodies when they are on fish that no one else is. If you are looking for general info. ask away. In this area, guys have a lot of info that can narrow down searching on lakes like Melissa, Sallie, Lida, Lizzie, Cormorant, etc. Start with a lake map and than start asking questions. Inside turns, humps, flats, steep breaks and narrows are all areas that most people are willing to share info about. :-) Good Luck, and ask away!

If you feel comfortable naming the lake by all mean do so. As a general rule, I name lakes that are big enough to handle a few extra anglers. I usaly don't give out my specific spots either, just use general locations to help others find similar spots.

+1

I am ok at giving a spot out if I did well, but it depends on which lake I was on. I have some little gill lakes that even my dad is not aware of because my dad tells everyone. There are lots of lakes that around me that are great fishing but you need to stay way from the little cities on them. Also some of the lakes have so much structure that is not on lake maps. Lets say Green Lake just south of Highway 95 The north and northwest shore can be awesome for gills I have also caught crappies in the shallow water. The south shore is a good spot for walleyes and crappies. the East side in shallower water is good for gills and northerns. I have also pin point some spots on of there lakes to give people an idea of what to look for. Mille Lacs is another one I will tell if I was on a big flat but some of the ones I fish are not much bigger then my truck. Those ones will not be named but I will get a depth and general location.

From what I can tell around here:

If you are asking for advice, then by all means feel free to name the specific lake and even ask specific questions. Whether or not you get any responses is going to be a different matter entirely. Still, it can't hurt and you might be rewarded with a PM.

If you're giving advice, many people are going to be upset if you "spoil" a lake by giving out too much specific information, especially outside of a private message. Still, this is a discussion forum and a place to share information so it's tough to be too hard on someone that does have a little looser lips. As has been previously mentioned, the larger the lake the more information you're likely to get too. You don't really need to be overly secretive when telling people that Upper Red is producing good walleyes, for example.

what I do personally, if someone that seems honest like you do posts about a lake I PM them some info and starting points. I have been out the last 3 days and caught 1 pike so im not doing that great right now either.

I guess I could use some pointers as well.

As others said, it's okay to name a lake in specific circumstances. However, it sounds like what you really need to learn is how to identify spots. Right now it seems like you're really just looking to find people who will do what your dad was doing...putting you on a spot. You need to read some books and go fishing with some folks that will teach you how to read, not just look at, a map and identify ideal locations to fish.

Remember that half the fun of fishing is learning how to find them.

It's ok to share as much information as you want to! But of course, the common sense icon should be on grin

In my reports I typically give a general area, and sometime I will name the lake, but in most cases it's just the general area. I wouldn't know how to be a good reporter if I lived in a crowded area..

The first thing you could do is a drive by. Since you have looked at maps and have seen the "cities" of houses, try and figure out what is particular about the spot where the houses are and then translate that to a similar spot on the lake.

I dont like fishing near a ton of other people, but sometimes that's unavoidable.

This time of year crappies especially can be pretty much patterned quite easily.

Find and area of deep water that is of consistent depth and if the lake has crappies, this is likely where they will be.

Drill a ton of holes and just keep trying. If you mark fish (assuming you have a depthfinder) the trick if figuring out what they will eat. Find the fish first, then catch the fish. If you drill a bunch of holes and dont mark fish, move on.

As I'm relatively new to this site. Thanks to all who have commented on my previous posts. I am just curious what is the general etiquette when asking about suggested fishing spots on specific lakes. Do I name the lake I am having trouble finding fish that way people know what I'm dealing with?

I have always fished with my dad and never really payed attention to where and WHY we fished a spot. Now, on my own, I look at a map, pick a spot and I rarely catch fish. To be honest, I'm starting to lose my interest in it.

Some people just say to fish where everyone else fishes, but I don't like the idea of just pulling up to someone's house and fishing along side them if i don't know then AND they didn't invite me out there with them.

What I really need is a hands on tutoring on some of my local lakes.

Thanks guys, and I cant say enough how much i like this site and its users.

Have you checked out the posts from Matt Johnson Structure breakdown in the metro section? It is in the metro lakes forum but the info is applicable anywhere.

It should help you start to understand how to pattern fish (aka finding out why you fished where you fished)

Worth checking out anyway, a lot of good info there.

Metro Structure Breakdown

We must not be viewing the same site. Every time I come out here it seems like posts from people looking for help. Seems to me, those catching fish are keeping silent or not on here at all. THis is of course a generalization. Not to say there aren't good posts from time to time.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll definitely look at the structure breakdown thread, and maybe do a youtube search too. I'm seeing a common theme from your posts and that is I need to get out there more and punch some holes. Now just to convince the wife that is the key to catching fish.

I think there are some good suggestions on this site. You can't usually expect someone to lead you to a hot spot. Take a step back and look at the posts from a distance and you'll get a big pile of info, if you sort thru the fluff.

I look at the lake like an accident investigator. When I get to a spot (not crowded) usually someone has been there. There will be a ton of holes punched and then you see where they set up. I usually run holes down the depth range out to the old place. Sometimes you get nothing but it gives you a direction.

Now just to convince the wife that is the key to catching fish.
My wife loves to fish for panfish because they jump on the hook within seconds. She hates walleye fishing because you have to work for them. Some people take time to warm up to the reward of true fishing. Give it time