• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for truck to pull ice rig

bigblue

Blackhawks: comp coverage on your auto policy covers you god forbid you drop it through the ice. The company I sold for, for 27 years covered it. Give your agent a call. Unless it is excluded by your insurance company in your policy comp coverage would take care of it. Talk to your agent though, he should be able to answer your question as to coverage or exclusion. Yes there would be additional premium, that increase would depend on how you want your deductible, higher deductible equals less premium. Again this discussion with your agent that's what you pay him for and should be more than happy to answer your questions.......good luck with the fish catchin

Before I bought a dodge I would ask the dealer if they fixed the rust problems they had over the rear tires on the box. I have seen quite a few with really rusty boxes over the rear tires and they were not very old trucks. I think the chevy bodies hold up quite a bit better. That being said I think they both will pull a ice house well but I personally think the chevy is a better truck.

DieselDan

Here’s some first hand experience with the new ZF eight-speed automatics that Chrysler is using in the LX body cars and upcoming Ram trucks. I currently own a ’13 Charger with the same basic 8 speed transmission that is going into the trucks and I am thoroughly impressed. I would imagine that the truck transmission will be a grade up in torque capacity from what is in my car, most likely the Chrysler version of the ZF 8HP70 with a torque rating of 516 lb-ft, of plenty for heavy use.

In my experience, my car shifts effortlessly between gears and I cannot even feel most of the shift points. Downshift under power is great and the car really moves for a six cylinder full size vehicle. The wide range of gears allows great torque transfer down low, and the overdrive nets me about 27 MPG on the highway in a full size AWD car. Apply these factors to a truck and it should be a great vehicle for multiple uses.

I believe that the new Ram ½ ton truck will get better than 20 MPG (under ideal conditions). If I were looking for a new truck today I would seriously look at the new 8 speed Hemi Ram. At least you owe it to yourself to take a few test drives to see how it feels for you.

One thing about the 6 spd tranny in the GMC I forgot to mention that I find VERY nice is when in tow/haul mode and slowing down, you have a tranny brake type scenario going on where it upshifts for you to aid in stopping. Scared the dump out of me the first time it happened, didnt know what the heck was going on, but I like using it going down hills, etc.

The dodge may have this as well, but IDK.

It seems that the bodies hold up better with less rust on the gms.

Mechanically I don't think you'll have a problem with either one. Everything made now is pretty solid and reliability is pretty good.

Check resale values - depreciation is going to be the biggest expense on a new vehicle - better resale usually means more consumer confidence in a vehicle and is usually going to be a great indicacator of reliability