• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for truck to pull ice rig

bigblue

What vehicle will these powertains be in? Crew Cabs? Extended Cabs?

The reason I ask is the powertrains these days are more than capable, but wheelbase can be more of an issue with the Crew Cabs specifically the 1/2 ton crew cabs with the shorter pickup box.

I dont have the 5.3 engine, but I have the same 6spd tranny in my Denali and that thing shifts like butter. I rarely use tow/haul. Always have it in overdrive and no issues.

Pull a 19 foot boat and interstate speeds with no issues. RPM stays low and no up and down shifting.

Ex-cab 6ft box. The tow capacity is there with both vehicles questions about the power trains 395hp 8 speed vs 315 hp 6 speed both with engine management . Was leaning to the GMC then the Mopar caught my eye ?

I believe as of now that the 8 speed is only available with the Penstar V-6 305 hp not the Hemi. I have a 2010 Ram Hemi with a 5 speed auto and I would say that it pulls very well and with the rear 4 link Im impressed with its ride when not loaded and towing. I think either one would tow just fine just feel the 5.3 GM is a little behind in the technology department with only 315 hp and a push rod engine but than again the old 350 tpi was only 195hp and towed just fine too with a 4 speed tranny. I think it will be a personal decision which one will meet your personal needs

I have the 2013 Mopar catalogue and the Hemi 8 speed is a option . It sure looks good on paper I like the torque and horsepower and mileage numbers but are they true ? Don't want to make the wrong move as I keep my trucks a long time .

The book says 26mpg for the Hemi 6 speed and it states the figures are not out yet for the 8 speed. the 8speed is available in the SLT model and up. The GMC shows a little better mpg with the 5.3. I am talking Mopar Canada but the options should be the same . Are they still made in Mexico my old 97 Ram was other than rust it's been a good truck but so has my 89 GMC.

I probably made this same comment when I first heard about 5 spd trannies, but an 8 speed seems like a lot of dang shifting to me. I would imagine it has a really low gear ratio in the rear end.

I had a 5.3 in my sierra ext cab. Sold it with 270,000 miles on it. I would still get 18 mpg on highway unloaded and 12 pulling my boat.

I am sure the numbers you are talking about MPG wise on the dodge are 2WD.

I drove a buddies 2012 Ram with hemi and 6 spd tranny and we pulled a 20 foot something camper and powerwise it was great, but that thing was all over the road. I prefer the solid axle rear for towing over the independent setup the ram has for towing specifically.

Supposedly the hemi, 8 speed and air ride trucks are going to be built starting in march. I wouldn't buy a new GM since the 2014's will be a new body style. I'm done with oil burning and knocking GM 5.3L. Really have a tough time believing that any truck will get 26mpg. It's been pretty well proven that the Ford eco-boost mileage was mostly hype.

Then God Made the Farmer!! That says it all!! If the Dodge Ram is good enough for the Farmer it is good enough for me. I have a 2001 1/2 Ton Ram. I have a 17 ft thats has a 5 foot prow. As long as the fish house is loaded rite there is no prouble pulling it. Any fish house needs to be loded rite. cant have all the weight in the back.

Thanks for all the replys . From what I read the 8 speed doesn't use all the gears at once it is controlled to give 40 different shift patterns for towing etc from what I understand . The farmer post is funny I have a farm and a 97 4x4 Ram 360 Mag and its has worked well since new . My son purchased a new GMC 5.3 and it seems like a nice truck . Buying new this year having a hard time making a choice. The oil and knocking with the GMC are things I am looking for . Thanks

bigblue, I had 270,000 miles on my 5.3 and it didnt use a drop of oil.

It was a bit noisy on cold startup on super cold days, but this is piston slap which doesnt decrease the longevity of the engine. I have had many different vehicles that did it and logged probably 750,000 miles across them and never ONCE did I have any engine related issue.

Not to change the subject but I am not sure about you but even with my 98 Tahoe I feel a litle unsure driving that on the ice let alone a new truck. Is there insurance coverage for such instances and is there an extra premium for said coverage. I may have to start a new topic.

I get 14 city/18+ highway with my 2012 RAM....you wont see 26 MPG with a HEMI. My old man has a new 5.3 Chevy LTZ and sees about the same mileage as I do. I think his rides a little bit better empty, but id rather tow my boat, camper, ect down the highway with mine. I dont think ya can go wrong with either one!!

Thanks gentlemen it's starting to look like a flip of the coin . Redhead or Blonde ! I have had all three Mopar GMC and Ford All 4x4's good service out of all them. Things have changed with trucks the last few years lots of options etc . I keep them a long time may have to just go for it and hope for the best. Last time went out to buy a chevy and came home with a Dodge !

I believe as of now that the 8 speed is only available with the Penstar V-6 305 hp not the Hemi. I have a 2010 Ram Hemi with a 5 speed auto and I would say that it pulls very well and with the rear 4 link Im impressed with its ride when not loaded and towing. I think either one would tow just fine just feel the 5.3 GM is a little behind in the technology department with only 315 hp and a push rod engine but than again the old 350 tpi was only 195hp and towed just fine too with a 4 speed tranny. I think it will be a personal decision which one will meet your personal needs
ummmm... The Hemi is a pushrod engine too... Just a different valve configuration.

Regardless of brand, all engines today are awesome. A full step improvement of what was available 10 years ago. Light years ahead of wheat was available 20 years ago.

You guys crack me up! My buddy has A Turbo Cummins it will pull anything not sure about the finger ? Thanks fellows will wait until March to road test the 8 speed Hemi when it becomes available . Be safe on the ice and catch lot's of fish.