• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing my first tournament, what to bring?

Freedom81

This Saturday I'll be heading up to fish the tournament in Alexandria, MN. This is my first time doing a tourney like this. I have read to pack light and bring a small chisel. I plan on bringing my Marcum, 1 tip-up, 1 rod, a small tackle box, pliers, jaw spreader, a bucket with half moon seat, bait pucks, small chisel, and beverage(s).

Am I forgetting anything? Any advice? What is the minimum size fish you'd recommend registering?

register all fish! Chances are stacked against you catching anything. Most tourneys will allow you to register multiple fish , counting only the largest, check the rules. Get there early! most of the fish caught at the tourneys i've been at are within a few rows of the outer edges. Once they get in to the confines of the tourney boundries they are gonna be seeing presentations every foot or so. My last tourney had 6000 people fishing and just under 100 fish caught. I've also been to tourneys where they did not have enough fish caught to fill out the categories. Make sure to check the rules again, some tourneys do not allow the use of electronics of any kind.

I've only fished a few. But i would second bringing more than 1 rod. When time is your enemy in tournaments tying new lures takes too long. At least with two or more, you can tie while one is in the water, increasing your chances to catch something.

Good luck!

I am fishing in one this saturday and I am bringing 8. if I am marking fish and they aren't biting I will simply switch rods. Much faster than retying, especially since we are standing outside and it might be windy.