• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Core Workouts

nofishfisherman

What are you guys doing to strengthen your core muscles?

I have a series of workouts I rotate through that help strengthen my core and other small stablization muscles but I'd be interested to hear what you guys do. I like to mix in new movements to keep things fresh and new. I'll chime with some of mine as well as the list starts to grow.

So lets here it, what do you do for your core?

Hanging leg raises, crunches, sit ups......I don't work out my core individually alot because it gets worked so much by all the other exercises I perform and I know at least right now I won't achieve or maintain a defined core because of my diet. A person can do all the core exercises in the world but unless they eat a fairly clean diet results will be minimal. I would say though more than any other area of the body variety is essential for quality results.

I am interested in this as well.

I have a history of a bad lower back. Traditional situps (I know that is just abs and not "core") really hurt my back. I have looked at guys doing planks or rollouts and fear that will hurt my back as well. So, for now, I lie on my back and put a round excercise ball between my legs and raise my knees up to meet my elbows. I do that 60 times and then use the round foam things to stretch my back and then repeat. I have also been adding in some knee pullups where you hang from the bars and bring your knees up. I am starting to see some abs coming back...but wouldnt mind some extra excercises to add in there that wont hurt the back.

I'm in the same boat as you Hoffer.

I don't understand what you described with the ball. The one I found that works for me is I lie on my back with my lower legs resting on the seat of my lazy boy. I scoot my bottom close to the chair. Then press your back flat against the floor and very slowly do a curl up and hold for 5 seconds then slowly lower back to the start position. Be sure to keep your lower back pressed flat into the floor the entire time.

After a few days my neck got stiff and sore. I now lace my fingers behind my head for support and that cured the issue. Don't force your head up with your hands though, just support it.

I tried planks, setup balls and other exercises, but they all strained my back. I also started doing squats and they help too.

I almost forgot to go back and add in some of my workouts.

For core I do a mix of sit ups and various planks but that gets old fairly quickly. I've mixed in some of what has already been posted but I also do one that hasn't been mentioned.

I'm not sure what the exercise is called, a friend of mine who is a trainer shared it with me.

The exercise is 3 parts. Each part is done from the same position. To get into the correct position you want to stand with your back facing a wall with your feet shoulder width apart. You should be standing 3-4 inches away from the wall. From this position you'll do the following 3 exercises for a duration of 30-60 seconds.

1. With your back against the wall extend your arms out to the side raise them up to shoulder height. Rotate your wrists so the back of your hand is facing the wall. Now push your arms back to the wall so the back of your hand is touching the wall. Now push back against the wall for 30-60 seconds. You want to push as hard as you can, pretend you are trying to push down the wall. While pushing you really want to focus on good posture, back and neck and straight and you should be looking straight ahead. Make sure to activate your abs and core muscles. You should feel it in your shoulders, neck, back, and abs. Hold for up to a minute and then release and relax for 30-60 seconds.

2. In the same position raise your arms back up to shoulder height but this time with your palms facing the floor. Reach your arms back so that just your pinky fingers are touching the wall. Now push back hard against the wall again and hold for another 30-60 seconds. Focus on posture and activating your core muscles. You should be feeling this one up a little higher in your back and neck. We call this version the Gremlin because at about the 45 second mark you feel like you have a Gremlin trying to crawl out the back of your neck.

3. The last one is the easiest I think. Same starting position but this time your arms are hanging down at about a 45 degree angle from your sides. This time you are pushing with your palms back against the wall. Push and hold for another 30-60 seconds. Remember to focus on good posture and activating the core. You should feel this one more in the front of the shoulder, chest, and abs.

These 3 are really easy to do and don't put much unnecessary strain on the back.

I try to do core stuff a couple times a week at least. For what I do I find a good core workout is more beneficial than heavy lifting so if I only have time for one I will do core.

Its hard to say. Normally I am doing more than just those exercises so I'm not sure if any soreness is from those particular movments or from something else I did.

For sure during the exercise I can feel it. I'm guessing you won't be real sore from just those movements alone since they seem to spread the focus over a wider area. You aren't localizing one muscle group and working it to exhaustion like you are with a situp or something similar.

I like to do hot potato squats, dumb bell shovler, suitecase dead lifts, goblet squats and just holding a one dumb bell with one arm above your head and walking back and forth.

Some I have learned from the video workouts that really hammer on working core muscles while working your other muscles.

Lately shoveling all this flipping snow has been a tremendous core and lower back workout eek Last night I shoveled off my father in laws house and garage. There was 4 plus feet of snow in the valleys and on the downwind side of the house/garage. took me a solid 3 hours. then I went home showered up, get ready for bed and then the snow plow finally comes by, so I go outside for another hour and shovel that hard packed windrow that was waist deep across the driveway. Today I am feeling that good tired soreness. I still need to chisel out by the mailbox. That won't be fun.

Yesterday I was at the gym and decided to do planks. First time I've ever done them. Figured, "hey I'm in good shape...I can do 1 minute intervals"

ouch!

1 minute plank followed by 1 minute rest for 5 sets is rough the next day.

I no longer think I'm in good shape.

Hey guys,I know very well about the core workouts importance because these workouts are the best for keep good fitness and health.Different workouts for keep good fitness and the weight loss.I like these core workouts....

1 Gym work

2 Swimming

3 Cycling

4 Running....