• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a bigger motor

Hooktup

I have an 02 crestliner 1850 sportfish with an 02 115 4 stroke merc. I love the whole package until I have a couple people with. I have been looking for the same motor in a 150-175 with no luck. Wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction I have tried every prop out there accept ss.

Thanks

I have been looking for the same motor in a 150-175 with no luck.

Welcome to Hot Spot Outdoors!

Can you elaborate on your comment quoted above? Is there any reason you're only looking for a 2002 version, or?

I would agree that a 115 on that boat will be a bit on the under powered side.. so your comments make sense. Can you elaborate on what you are looking to get out of this change? Your comment that it's good until you get a couple of people in it.. are you referring to hole shot, or getting on plane, or max speed?

marine_man

I would be open to other years I just dont want to go backwards. I also can't afford to go to new either. I do know i want to stay with a 4 stroke.

My hole shot is never bad, my handling and top end is what suffers with a few people with and it is VERY wet to ride in on a windy day.

Take a look at your owners manual.. if that's the case... you should be revving closer to 6000 RPM if I recall correctly. That isn't helping you much with all around performance in my mind.. I've got to think holeshot takes a bit...

marine_man

Ole#1, u had the same setup? Im lucky to hit 40 by my self! Ill have to look up the owners manual because i dont have one, but as marine man said if im supose to be gettn 6 out of it a few props smaller would make a heck of a difference.

Looks like max rpm is 6400. I thought I was running 5100 at wot but that can't be right, i already am down to a 15 pitch. Gess i will have to wait till the lakes get soft to see forshure. I am still window shopping for something bigger.

I have an 02 crestliner 1850 sportfish with an 02 115 4 stroke merc. I love the whole package until I have a couple people with. I have been looking for the same motor in a 150-175 with no luck. Wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction I have tried every prop out there accept ss.

Thanks

Merc came out with a new 4 stroke 150 in the last couple years to replace the previous one that was based on Verado and was way too heavy. Suzuki also makes a really nice 150 4stroke. But you would have to bite the bullet and buy new or nearly new.

Merc came out with a new 4 stroke 150 in the last couple years to replace the previous one that was based on Verado and was way too heavy. Suzuki also makes a really nice 150 4stroke. But you would have to bite the bullet and buy new or nearly new.

I've been drooling over that. 50lbs or so lighter than the 150 Verado.

Wonder what I could get for trade on a slightly used 115. laugh

That is disappointing to hear. I don't have $10k burning a whole in my pocket anyway. Just dreaming.

Back on topic. To the OP, I feel your pain. I have an 18" Alumacraft with a 115 Merc 4S and I'd call it the minimum motor that should be mounted on it.

Something doesn't sound right though. I run a double cupped 17" pitch SS prop and can push it 100-250 RPM over the suggested limit (depending on conditions and load). I'm sure a 15" SS would send my set-up to the rev limiter.

I think a properly matched SS prop on a 115 WILL show you noticed improvement, maybe not in top speed but in getting there (holeshot). But don't plan to just go buy one and that's it, you need to test several (different styles, different pitches) at least, many at best. You will know right away when you found the right one, and you WILL be happy. Good luck.

Are you sure your Max RPM is 6400? I thought the 2002's ran to 6000..

If you max RPM is 6k, you're running right around 5610 RPM. . You could probably drop a little more pitch and pickup more holeshot, but you'll lose a little top end.

If your max RPM is 6400, you're running at about 6315.. which means you're right at the limit.

Doing some evaluation with stainless props will help your holeshot and your top end a little... as long as you're willing to invest the time and expense to identify the right prop.

marine_man

Thanks a lot guys. I will give the ss idea a shot this spring, but i know form experience that there is no substitute for displacement. If the right prop can scratch the itch for a few years that would shure help on the pocket book.

Thanks again!