• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some advice

I have a 15 week old chocolate female. She is doing great. She swims like a fish follows the sit/stay/come commands she has an awesome nose on her. But lately she has had no desire to retrieve either the canvas or the plastic bumpers. What I have been doing when she wont retrieve is I bring her out to the bumper, say the fetch command and place the bumper in her mouth, then call her back to where we started. I know she understands what I want and need, we have been doing this since she was 7 weeks old. Any advice would be appreciate.

I'm not sure how many retrieves you do in a session, but everyone told me to only throw 2-3 retrieves and keep the dog wanting more. If this isn't the cause, she may have her permanent teeth coming in. I've heard females don't respond to pressure as well as males. Make sure you have a positive attitude and keep her excited. There is good HSOforum, working retriever central or something like it. They have some very knowledgeable posters.

She is bored! Do you take her to the same spots every time? Bring her to a new lake or field. Not just 50 yards away either brand new area. I ran into this with one of my first dogs I trained. I was told that dogs get bored faster than humans! Rotated training areas and keep it exciting with new obsticales.

------------------
www.bucketrack.com
Hey nice Rack

There is something definitely wrong, she's lost interest. Not saying this is the issue, but I have seen it. Never punish or bad mouth a retrieving dog. Only use praise and if they don't do it right, you have to show them and help.

Keep it short and simple with time. Each session a day for a pup should only last 5-10 minutes and quit. That way the dog is anxious to try it again the next day....

If you train too hard, too fast that could work against you.

She should come around with time.

15 weeks?!?! not sure how long your retrieves are but keep those short as well. I agree with the others, 5-10minutes tops. If she doesn't seem to be responding, take some time off. By all means KEEP IT FUN, she is very young yet!!!!