• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX 7 Tips

chuolee

Hey all Marcum LX 7 owners. I know there's has been a lot of talks around net about the unit and the new 3.17 upgrade and decided to share how I've been using mine to give me the best results when I'm out on the ice. Unlike the other Marcums I've used, I found the best way to fish with this unit is to not fish with the ducer all the way down past the bottom of ice but to have it in far enough to were the tip of the ducer cone is submerged and is centered within your ice hole. Using the ROYGBIV color palette seems to help with picking up smaller jig heads without maxing out your sensitivity. Give this a try and see if this will help with some of the behaviors talked about on the net. If you have other tips you would like to share with the Marcum LX 7 users, please do share. HAPPY LX-7 FISHING.

NOTE: Can't be for certain, but I'm pretty sure this will apply to LX-6 and LX-9 owners also.

Not hanging your ducer below the ice line can cause all sorts of issues or interference. Let alone you may no be able to pick up your lure ID or fish ID properly on the outer edge of the cone's beam.

Also having it centered will cause line tangle and the fish will tangle into the transducer on the way up which may cause you to lose fish.

For shallow water i have the best luck with the open water setting. I still get a pretty wide return for my jig compared to deep water but it does help compared to the ice setting. I also run the 7 color(?not sure exact number) pallet on the display. I also have to say that the dynamic/auto depth for hole hoping is great.

I roll with the black background and ROYGBIV color palet. I would have to disagree with the ducer placement as well. I like Auto/Dynamic until I am on the fish then I dial the sucker in, playing with sensitivity/target/zoom and such.

I was told by Marcum on my lx-9 to have the tip of the transducer out of the water just like stated above. I thought he was crazy, he said its something marcum has been preaching for a few years. With the transducer arm over the hole the fish won't get tangled up in it because there's only about 1" of transducer puck in the water. I've never had it in the middle of the hole but off to the side and it does work, a crazy as it sounds.

I was told by Marcum on my lx-9 to have the tip of the transducer out of the water just like stated above. I thought he was crazy, he said its something marcum has been preaching for a few years. With the transducer arm over the hole the fish won't get tangled up in it because there's only about 1" of transducer puck in the water. I've never had it in the middle of the hole but off to the side and it does work, a crazy as it sounds.

You are right on this one, Marcum's own manual at least in the LX6 and LX7 states the following:

To begin operation, take the transducer out of the recessed holder, and rotate the adjustable ice arm out from inside the shuttle. Extend transducer arm, (the cable should already be threaded through it with stopper in place) and deploy the transducer into the water. We recommend setting your stopper to have the transducer down the least amount possible. The LX-6 or (LX-7) puts out enough power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it may be necessary to have your transducer set farther down. Remember--the less transducer cable you have out, the easier it is to pull it out of the water when bringing in a fish, or to move to a new location.

However I still find it reading optimal best when set below the ice as per my earlier post due to interference, various issues or factors that may come into play.