• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
picksbigwagon

The itch is back!

My PW is 45*, I currently use a 52-56-60 wedge set, I am figuring a 50* wedge would be a nice since I really am stuck at the 135 yard mark, I hit my PW 150 - 155 (carry) and my 52 is 130 on a good day. SO I know they say a 4-5 degree gap in wedges is ideal, would you: just add a 50, add three new wedges 50,54,58, or just skip it all together. Now my current wedges have an extra 1.5" for length, but stock wedge shafts, should I move to stiff or xstiff shafts? My current irons are x100 shafts......

Thanks for the insight, got a coupon flyer for golf galaxy for added incentive $$ on trade in equipment and I have an older driver and new putter ( toe weighted with a grey goose vodka grip on it) that I won at a tourney last summer.....

Thanks for the help, I plan on heading to the golf show in a couple weeks, maybe find a good deal there if possible

What about just getting a 48* PW. I believe that is the normal stock degree on most PW's. That would give you a 4* gap in between each wedge.

Most wedge shafts are pretty stiff. A lot of pros with your speed go with s300 or s400 in the wedges. I think tiger uses s400's. 48,54,60 is a good mix for some. 52,56,60 works for others. Check the loft on your pw. Some are pretty strong lofted. That may help you fill in the gaps. golfwrx is a pretty cool site for equipment info

Yep, my PW is 45*, double checked mizuno's webiste again. Culd I deloft my current PW to a say 47*?

What's the difference between s300 and s400 shafts?

Delofting would open up the choices for wedges, which will make shopping a lot more fun I guess....

Eyeing the new cleveland RTX faced 588’s, but wuld like a forged wedge

The s400 is the same shaft as the s300 but slightly heavier.

I'll start with the easier question.

In wedges I'm not sure many people would notice the diff between the 300 and 400s, much less the diff between an s300 or x100. Again, I am speaking wedges here.

You probably would though. In all of my years working retail in the golf world, I can't say many people have your swing speed.

Now for the trickier one.

Personally, I went with a 48, 53, 56, 60... but ended up droppin the 60. I can work my 56 well enough to be confident from 120 in. Err... probably 115 nowadays. And I do switch the 53 out with a 52 degree for 100% mental reasons every now and then.

With your distance, I would say the more options you have from 150 in... the better you'll be... so I would add a 50 degree if you can fit it in the bag.

Yep, a full swing with my 52, stars alligned, holding my breath and wearing my luckyunderwear, and I can hit it 135, every third leap year......most of the times it is 125, when I need 135..........

Current set is 6 years old, Adams Tom Watson 3 wedge set that has really never imparted much spin at all to I have hit with them. How do I know? I have used my brother in law wedges and it is noticeable......

I have very little confidence in my 52, which might be party of the problem at this point, the old "it has to be the arrow, not the archer" deal.......

I wouldn't screw around with your PW except for maybe practicing hiting it a comfotable 80% instead of trying to kill it. I think you'll like the results.

To each thier own on wedges but I like the 3 wedge system of 52,56 and 60. Maybe for you, the 50,54,58 is the right way to go? The 60 can be tougher to hit for higher hadicappers.

I have a 52, a 58 and a 64. All Cleveland.

The 52(125-130yds) and the 58(95-110yds) are my favorite clubs in the bag. Admittedly, 64 took quite a while to get used to, but I got it because I really wanted something for 75-80 yds and less, which the 64 is perfect for, with a soft touch and good spin.

I have the itch also, Picks -- I put new irons in the bag this winter. I made the switch from Cleveland irons (two different sets over the last 12 years) to Taylormade Rocketballz. I have hit them at the simulator so far, and loved them. This set did come with an "Attack Wedge", which is 50 degrees. the PW is 45 degrees, I believe. I'll need to play the AW against my 52 and decide which stays in the bag.

Anxious to play!

"Attack Wedge"? I like that.......Did you get the new fangled rocketbladz? I am wanting to hit that club and see what my numbers look like.

I started hitting 3/4 shots more last year with all my wedges, and it is scary how close to 100 yards I can get with my 56 and my "100 yard swing" but I just couldn't get the 3/4 swing down for the PW.....

(sigh.....) I am leaning towards 52-56-60 since I find myself at 100 yards more often than not, course sometimes it is from the wrong fairway or in the woods....

Since my wife doesn't check this forum or HSOforum ever, Been kicking around the idea of a new driver shaft too, Matrix Black Tie 7M3.....gotta find a deal, gotta find a deal....

I just put a new Aldila NV 65 shaft in my driver and I can't tell you how much I love it. Went from a slight fade with my whippy stock shaft to hitting a nice baby draw with this shaft. THis is all on the simulator for golf league mind you, so we will see how it translates into the real course.

I hit the typical 52-56-60 wedges and it works out great for me. Anything under a 100 yards I have learned to hit 1/2, 3/4, 5/8 swings with my 56 depending upon the distance. Took a lot of practice, but it was well worth it. I bought Cleveland CG16 wedges last year which was a big upgrade and big help as well.