• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Subaru

We have had a Subaru in the family since our first wagon in 1984. Have owned a few Outbacks. Never a Tribeca. For us, there has not been a reason or family need that an Outback or Forester would not fill. I would not give up gas mileage unless I needed the capability in a Tribeca. That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either. The reliability that we have experienced over the years has been epic.

Nice looking car. I've been eyeing one of those up lately as well. Just not too sure how well that 4 cyl would hold up to towing a boat. I'llcrobably end up with a small truck or a 6 cyl SUV though.

Essox, been looking at the Outback as well for the wife. They seem to have everything we need to haul kids, groceries, and awd.

How has this vehicle been so far for you and what mpg have you been getting. O ha sharp ride!!

Sticker says 21-27 so far seems to be in the ballpark, should get better after a few thousand miles....Cant find anybody to have a bad word about the Subaru line up and we have only had it a couple weeks so far a great buy... Guessing unless somnething drastic happens we will stay with an Outback for a long long time....

my son is a mechanic,he has owned quite a few ----older models though. He had one that was pushing 300,000 miles before he sold it to someone he worked with. The guys still uses it to get back and forth to work. He has nothing but high praise for them.........

Wifey's been pushing for a new car, she wants to replace a 03 burb with 85k, mint condition and fully loaded for a Hyundai Sonata or what ever. I like the Subaru Legacy, bottom line, only manufacture to gain market share consistently and is a quality car. Rented a Forester in Hawaii a few years ago and was really impressed. I understand their is a stigma associated with them but from what I have seen I can live with it.

Let us know what happens, Any info always helps.

Although the future is hard to predict, I think that at some point in the not so distant future a LOT more outdoorsmen will be driving Subarus than the Suburbans, trucks, etc...I know a couple of guys that have them, that tow 17 ft fishing boats with them and love them in the winter. To go on longer hunting trips they have smaller utility trailers with them.

I have an '06 Tribeca (85k) and an '01 Outback (180k) and have hardly had to do anything other than routine maintenence on either of them. Although, I did have to get an idler pulley for the serpentine belt on the Tribeca this winter, but it was cheap and easy. The late 90's/early 00's 2.5 ltr have oil leaks from the valve covers which can get into your plugs and wires, and there is a notorious head gasket annoyance.

The only problem I see with Subaru is their confusing lineup. They have A too-small large SUV, and sweet-spot sedan and wagon, a too-large compact SUV, and a too-large compact. Drop the Tribeca and make a 3rd row seating option for tikes in the Outback. Keep the Forester, but offer it w/ a 6 cyl, and keep the Impreza small.

That being said, we'd get another in a heartbeat, which will probably be in the near future. You picked a nice ride, Esox. I think you'll enjoy it.

Outbacks are very nice but IMO they've been upstaged by Hyundia and even Kia with their small-midsize SUV's in regards to designs, features, interior quality, engine choices, etc. And most sub's seem to have a lifter problem with a loud engine ticking noise after about 50,000 miles.

What kind of warranty do they come with?

The other bonus to driving one of these rainbow mobiles is that the COs don't even give you a second look as you leave the lake. I can attest to this personally as i was fishing with a big group of guys with trucks a couple years ago, and i got waved off by the CO while they were all pulled over to count fish. It was hilarious and to this day we joke that i could have had all of the fish in my car and not get a second look.

Very nice Esox, Anyone know what years are best for looking at used outbacks? I know to make sure the head gaskets and timing belt is done. I have seen some 2002-up wouldn't go older. I am looking for a car to replace my little commuter Chevy Aveo sedan. I know it won't get the mileage the aveo does but the ride and handling in bad weather will make up for it. I am looking between a subaru and a camry. Wife wants Camry I would like the sub for more cargo and AWD. I do need good mileage though for driving 70+ miles on way to work. I do know to stay away from turboed 2.5s....

Used Outbacks are expensive and sell quick, several we called on were posted on the dealers site one day and sold by the next day... frustrating trying to make a deal on a car that was selling between the time we saw it till the time we called on it....For a used one nder 50" your looking at 20-22K, 50-100K 17-20K over 100K up to 14K... In the end with incentives and better interest rates new was a better option, Subaru is offering .9-5% depending on credit rating on a new one...If you do go Subaru dont get the 2.5I thats the base modle and bare bones, we got the Premium that is the mid model, Limited is the fully loaded version...With our 2013 we are avereaging over 22 mainly in town driving seeing the meter in the low 30's at 65 with cruise set on flat ground...