• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr Heater issue

mrklean

I have been have an issue with my Mr Heater lately i bought it in mid december and had no issue till last week. It would run good for an hour or 2 on a 1 pound cylinder then the pilot went out and would light again for 15-20 min. Looking back a previous post i was guessing my one pounders were to cold and the O2 was getting sucked out and after they warmed up they were ok. Yesterday i had my 20 pound tank hooked up and it did the same thing was running great then the pilot went out and it wouldnt light again for 15-20 min then run great for an hour or so then go out. Is it the same issue my 20 pounder was to cold?

I'm having almost the exact same issue with my ventless heater on my wheelhouse. The pilot goes out and i can't get it re-lit for a while. I was thinking maybe it was the regulator but really don't know what's wrong. Hopefully someone can help us out!

Sounds like the onboard regulator isn't getting enough pressure when the tank pressure slows down due to freezing or slow boil of your propane. If you buy the quick connect hose w/regulator it will run at about 2 lbs pressure instead of about 20 lbs for the onboard. It will set you back about $35 to $40 at you local hardware store.

I have had this happen as well. I changed out tank once and started back up. Other times, on full tanks, I was thinking it was the low Oxygen....so I guess we have to RTFM :-)

From the Big Buddy Manual:

Troubleshooting Information

If Spark electrode does not produce spark.

CHECK

• Spark electrode broken – replace.

• Igniter wire may not be attached to spark electrode

– attach.

• Igniter wire damaged – replace.

• Piezo igniter on control valve defective – replace

control valve.

If Spark electrode produces spark but pilot does not light.

CHECK

• No gas to heater – install disposable cylinder or

connect hose and turn on valve at remote cylinder.

• “PILOT” position not properly aligned – turn gas

control knob to “PILOT” position and depress.

• Pilot is blocked from spider web or dirt – clean

pilot, see MAINTENANCE.

If Pilot flame does not stay lit when knob is released.

CHECK

• Control knob in “PILOT” position not completely

depressed or held in long enough to purge air from

lines.

• Pilot flame not surrounding thermocouple – clean

pilot, see MAINTENANCE.

• Pilot Assembly defective – replace.

• Tip switch wires disconnected – connect.

If Main burner(s) does not ignite.

CHECK

• Main burner(s) orifice is blocked – clean burner(s),

see MAINTENANCE.

If Heater keeps shutting “OFF” during normal operation.

CHECK

• Pilot is blocked – clean pilot, see MAINTENANCE.

• Provide minimum fresh air opening of 18 square

inches (example 4 1/4” x 4 1/4” opening).

• Tip over switch activated from bumping heater. Relight

I've had same problem on my old buddy, pilot tube got moisture or water droplet in tube somehow.

I also had a dirty plugged orfice on my big ceramic panel heater[just like buddy's but bigger]. After i elimated what I thought was bad regulator problem, found the orfice plugged.

I would guess low O2 levels since it starts after a while.

Did you notice any dimming of the burners before it stopped?

If it happens again, immediatly bring it to fresh air & try it again.

Or you could set it up in your garage or somewhere with more air volume that a fish house & see if it will run continuously.

One thing I recently found out is there are shops that are out there that will repair buddy heaters! I went on the Mr. Heater site to find a replacement part on my big buddy and they were out of stock and have no clue when they will get them made again so I called service stores and found one that happened to have one part...Braham Hardware store...who woulda thunk it