• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burntside Bash

I'm looking forward again this year attending the 11th Annual Burntside Bash up in gorgeous Ely, MN on Saturday, March 9th. It's a memorial for fallen guide Jim Hudson who tragically passed away on January 26th. There will be a silent auction, food and camaraderie at the Van Vac landing. All proceeds will go to his wife Hannah Stonehouse Hudson.

full-635-29748-bbposter.jpg

I'm sure you'll have an equally fun weekend Barb-you'll have to come to the Bash next year. I'll try to take pics to post from the Bash here on Sunday or Monday. I'm super excited to be getting back up to Ely since I haven't ice fished very much this winter.

I did have a good time in spite of the horrible weather. Saturday we had a combination of rain, sleet and snow all day. Not fun riding an ATV with ice pelting you in the face. I only caught 1 splake on Saturday and nothing on Friday but from what we heard there was not a lot being caught anywhere. I did meet a great guide from up there, Aron Kastern. He gave us a lot of tips and was real patient with us newbies to the Superior ice fishing experience. I never realized there were so many species in Superior. I am going to have to get up there more often. One of the gals really got spanked by a steelhead on Sunday morning, she said it hit like bomb and took off like a freight train. She fought it hard and lost it just coming up to the hole. My ice fishing may be over for the year, between my bad back and the fact that I came home sick again (third time this winter) I might have to wait for the softwater season. Kinda bummed, hoped to get out and do some nice piggy perch fishing.

Sounded like a great time Barb! I've never ice fished Lake Superior before which is a shame since I live pretty close. Maybe you can sneak out one more time on one of the panfish lakes around you? I'm not sure if I'll have time to go out again either for that matter.

I put a post down in the Bash details thread in the BWCA-Duluth-Gunflint Trail-North Shore Lake Superior Burntside Bash thread. The other Bashers always make this day so much fun-what a great time! I got to meet some new people like Matt Breuer, buzbunni, Piedmont Angler's brother and dad, leech, Shane Z and his gf Amanda, Wayne and few more that this ole brain can't remember! As always it was great seeing Mike (chaffmj) and his wife Jodi, Steve Foss, Steve Sutherland, Frank (Surface Tension) and Frank Jr, Casaloma, Gary (ripstick), Randy (Loonasea), Vic (PA), Zona and Dan (simey1)with their son, the other Jim (trumy), Mike Stark and I'm sure I've missed some others. Can't wait until next year!