• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Engine temp.. Is this normal?

2011 Ford Focus 42,000mi. On colder days like today the engine doesn't really warm up in the driveway (Idle 5 min). The gauge stays about here C-@---------H. While driving it will warm up quickly at freeway speeds (less than 2 miles driving at 50-70mph) to here

C-----@-----H. But heres what I think is weird... maybe not, I don't know!

While in a drive through line idling, (for less than 3 minutes) The gauge reads

C--@--------H ... Are the 2.0L engines that sensitive to cold air? My old pathfinder warms up quick and stays warm.

I Don't think a car should require freeway speed to warm up enough to defrost the windshield. Maybe its fine.. I don't know. I never noticed it get colder in a drive through before.

The heater is nothing more than an unregulated radiator. The heater works wether the thermostat is open or closed and can draw a significant amount of heat out of the cooling system which is compounded by a really cold day. Smaller engines especially those made from a large amount of aluminum struggle to stay warm on a cold day.

Smaller engines especially those made from a large amount of aluminum struggle to stay warm on a cold day.
for sure. My Ranger with the old Cast iron, Push rod V6 heats up and stays warm. My Wife's Hyundai Struggles to get very warm on super cold days and is near cold again after coming out of the grocery store.

Side Note; Any you put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator in winter time to help engine heat up? Put one in one fall and forgot about it for two winters/summers. Didn't hurt anything luckily. blush

My current '03 F150 came with fancy plastic panels that snap into the grill. I used them last winter and this winter and have noticed that things heat up faster, but not by much. It doesn't seem to affect anything while driving at highway speeds, but I personally (out of ignorance) won't tow with those panels installed.

My 2001 pathfinder and brothers fusion doesn't lose and heat in a drive through line. maybe the focus engine is so small and light it just doesn't keep up with the 3 degree days and the wind. I just didn't know what i was looking at or how to interpret the info.

Not sure on that motor, but once warm my car stays warm. Our Focus recently had issues similar to yours and it was a stuck open thermostat. I changed it out and the car warms and stays warm.

Typically a stuck thermostat will have warmer air at idle and then cool down at freeway speeds. Just the opposite of what his focus is doing.

My 03 Focus temp guage doesnt get much past the C on a cold day. I thought it was odd but either way I'm not puting any $$ into it just going to drive that beater untill she dies.

Not sure how many miles are left on your focus, or which motor you have, but I can't help myself to comment that a cold running engine will use more fuel. The cost of a new thermostat could pay for itself pretty fast with 3.50 gas, not to mention it will help your engine to last longer. A cold running engine is not good, an engine that runs at operating temps is best for many reasons. Just a thought I would pass along. Maybe some of the pros on here would confer on that.