• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which ice auger?

elkoholic

Gonna buy a new auger..Im thinkin either the lazor pro or the new strikelite with the honda motor,any input would b greatly appreciated.Is the bigger motor on the lazor pro gonna b faster than the smaller strikelite?

Thanks fellas

I have the Lazer Pro and will be selling and buying the Honda next season. You will be very surprised by how fast the Honda cuts for a 35cc. The Honda is right behind the Lazer pro in speed. A dream to start also. The Lazer pro is a cutting machine. Very fast and reliable. Go with either one. The Lazer pro will be a bit cheaper

I think either one will b great also,couple buddies have the older strikelites and they are pretty sweet, the honda motor should run for many years. i have an older lazor now and its bout as fast as my buddies strikelite,the lazors are pretty sweet augers!

. You will be very surprised by how fast the Honda cuts for a 35cc. The Honda is right behind the Lazer pro in speed.

The Honda GX35 turns a max rpm of 7000 (not under load) with a 40:1 gear ratio that would give it 175 rpm at the drill with no load. The Solo 3 hp turns 9500 rpm With a Load and will give you 240 rpm with a 8" drill. I know the Robin powered Strike lite had the 40:1 gear ration and would assume the honda powered would be the same. From the numbers alone the honda should be slower then the 2 hp magnum. Maybe I missing something? I have been looking at getting the Pro but if the Honda is close to the speed I would much rather buy the Honda.

the honda is 40:1 ratio,im all bout speed, when it comes time for late season crappie and ur drillin 100-200 holes a day every little bit of speed counts up, but i also want an auger that is gonna last a bunch of years

the honda is 40:1 ratio,im all bout speed, when it comes time for late season crappie and ur drillin 100-200 holes a day every little bit of speed counts up, but i also want an auger that is gonna last a bunch of years

May want to look at a Nils then, light,reliable, quiet and fast

I've personally only seen 1 Nils auger on the ice, and that was a few years back when they were newest "better than sliced bread" ice fishing gizmo.

Not saying it's good to follow the crowd, but I will stick with a StrikeMaster from a parts, repair and MN company standpoint.

Any auger will cut through the ice but the weight and speed of a Strikemaster is hard to beat.

Nils are far from new, been around for 30 years or better.... SM while decent are no match to the speed, reliability, and weight of the Nils... We have no idea on the longevity of the motors on the market right now, Tanakas have changed little to nothing on their motors for 20-30 years and are the most reliable well built small engines out there today...

If going 2 stroke only a nils they are not a fad they are very good. 4 stroke get the Honda. Only two augers I would buy ,have also ran them both. With in our group everyone still grabs the nils 4 years old over both 4 stroke models strike master has made. Not bashing them they are good augers nils over a series of holes is a little faster and is a little bit lighter. Whatever you buy you should be happy with and is better than nothing.

Nils are far from new, been around for 30 years or better.... SM while decent are no match to the speed, reliability, and weight of the Nils... We have no idea on the longevity of the motors on the market right now, Tanakas have changed little to nothing on their motors for 20-30 years and are the most reliable well built small engines out there today...

Though i'm not a sm fan from my last two augers, both of which have had problem after problem...esox auger/flasher radar is on again! This guy loves "his" toys! Lol

Ok I am also in the market for a new auger I have a 30 year old jiffy it smokes bad and can't handle airing out the wheel house for a half hour after drilling any more. About ready to buy the 3hp lazer not sure about exhaust on that thinking it has to be way better than my old jiffy. Or would I need the four stroke to get rid of the fumes or at least most of them? Would the new Honda be a to run the 10 inch bit?

just out of curiosity by would u want a 10 inch hole? that’s kinda irresponsible don’t you think.

Yeah really irresponsible, he should be ashamed! The nerve of some people thinking they can go around drilling 10" holes. We should ban 10" augers while we still have hope!