• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

summer trip Ideas

GSP4ME

Starting to try and plan my one big summer time fishing trip between the dogs and kids I normally only get one a year where I can take a week. to do. Last year I fished Vermillion. SO this year I would like to try someplace else, maybe vermillion again but just looking for some ideas and a rough idea of a time frame. From opener on until mid July. Just curious to see what will be thrown out there. I prefer to camp and can either bring my little boat or stay at a resort that offers camping and has boat rental. By the way hats off to Life O Riely on Vermillion. Rock runs a great place

here's a good one. LOTW Morson, Ontario. It's only 40 miles north of baudette and the fishing 99 times out of 100 is fantastic for walleyes. That part of the lake is full of islands which can help with blocking wind. Standard fare for boat rental is a 16 footer with 25 horse.

Finding fish is generally pretty easy compared to other fishing I've done, drag spinners with bottom bouncers. There isn't really any family fun stuff in "town" so that could be a negative. If you're family wants to fish or swim it would be something to look into.

I would check into Woody's resort on Rainy Lake.

Reasonable rates, friendly people with excellent customer service.

Rainy has great fishing for most specie and some trophy fish also.

If you do not know the lake, fear not, Woody has been guiding on the lake longer than anyone. Maybe 40 years or a few more.

Well worth your time to check it out.

I typically go to Woody's for 4-5 days over Memorial weekend. Eyes and pike fishing is darn good. Never fished much for the smallies or crappie but they are there.

As far as any other times, I have been there on Labor day weekend with great fishing then also.

I believe Woody does have boat rentals and as far as a campround, you would have to ask what he has there.

This year, we will be having a GTG there over Memorial weend with some good room rates.

It's a trip a year I do not miss.

One does not have to leave the U.S. side of the lake as there are plenty of great spots to fish.

If one did want to go wherever, then you would need a RABC-remota area border crossing permit and a Canadian fishing license. I always fish the U.S. side and have enjoy plenty of fishing action.

Don't know if another lake in the state has the scenery Rainy does. Lot's of islands and wildlife about.

Lake Oahe in South Dakota, in July. Unbelievable fish population with very minimal bait left in the lake. 2013 regs because of this are, 8 fish a day with 24 in possesion limit.

Jigs, cranks, live bait and bobbers. However you want to catch them you can.

I've fished it the last three years and it's been fantastic, now that they realized they flushed all the bait out of the system to prevent the flodding in 2011 it is going to be on fire this year, then it will take a few years to recoup itself.

Voyageurs National Park

+1, Voyageurs is a top fishing destination. Solid numbers of walleye, bass, crappies, and pike, with the chance at trophy caliber fish at any time. Late May to Mid June would be the ideal time to take a trip as the water is warming fast, but the mayfly hatch is not yet present. This window of time can provide phenomenal fishing! grin

+2 Voyageurs National Park!!! A MUST on your must go-to spots!!!

You also love the fishing and camping that I do. If you go out of the Ash River Vistor Center there is lots of campsites around and lots of bays for Bass and other fishies to tie into. Well protected bays to use a smaller boat too. Free to camp.... for now.

Go to the Crane Lake Kabetogama-Namakan section in the MN Regional Forums on this site and read some of the topics there for more info. (Plus the Voyageurs National Park HSOforum has maps you can look at.)

GOOD LUCK with way ever you go.