• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't have any pictures but I've been up to our property twice this winter clearing trees where two of our deer stands are. Trying to get some new growth started. Seem to be seeing less deer the last few years during shooting hours although they're on the trail-cams. Also some shooting lanes out in the tamarac swamp.

Cut through a tree about 80% till it tips over with the underside of the bark still in tact to move food / water to the leaves. looks similar to a 'hinge'. It will keep the tree alive for anywhere from a year to several years. Helps to bring food to the deer's level, increase security and bedding options within or next the canopy. Usually achieved with smaller trees (4" cal) and less desireable species that you most likely would have eliminated.

Good Luck!

Ken

I can't figure out how to post pics on here. I do have a pic slide show on youtube if you wanna see progress on tree tube plantings over the years, and some trail clearing. Here's the link:

If you're squeemish about clicking the link, go to youtube and search "Hunt Update 2013 Skoogitty" That'll bring you to the video.

full-26456-34973-tubetube.jpg

Here's a tree I planted as a 12" bare root back in 2008. Not sure what it is. In my effort to "naturalize" the planting, I got everything all mixed in and forgot what they were. I'll find out when it starts putting out fruit.

Every other year, i spray the grass around the tube to keep the root competition down. This was sprayed 12 months before this picture.

Good point.

I didn't read it through closely enough. I saw "projets," and "let's see some pictures" and got excited about some habitat talk.

Maybe I should have started a new thread.

I was really hoping for more conversation about perennial habitat improvement in general. Doesn't seem to be a hot topic here.