• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why no respect?

Hendy

The South Dakota Game Fish and Parks weekly county fishing reports contained several reminders that leaving northerns on the ice is waton waste and a game violation. I know that a lot of perch and walleye anglers hate northerns for biting off their lines and scaring fish away. Why do northerns lack value in certain circles? Slobs exist everywhere, but their attitude toward northerns has to be based on more than slime and y bones.

I've fried northern for lots of people for the first time and they are all amazed at how good it is and it's always their favorite. I think a lot of people would be surprised how easy it is to take out the y bones if they were just showed how.

I enjoy the taste of northern pike, and really enjoy fishing for them. They are a great fighting fresh water fish!

I always feel a little crummy about the meat that has to be discarded with all the y-bones. I don't like to waste good fish, but it's inevitable to waste some for a truly boneless pike fillet.

It is a little more time consuming to do a few of these fish this way, so people may be a little averse to doing that.

They can also be pretty messy, and pretty stinky on the fillet table. This too is kind of a turn off when it comes to handling pike.

For many years, "jacks", as they were once called, were tossed on the shore, and primarily considered undesirable fish - for whatever reason I don't know? Long-standing traditions, and socially accepted norms are often hard to break. There are still millions of people out there that are blatantly racist, prejudiced, and fiercely proud of being so.

I think, for the most part, this mindset that pike are undesirable has changed dramatically over the last 30 years. But evidently it still persists in some people, and some parts of the country. I wonder if these same people would feel the same way if they realized how many small pike also become food for other "more favorable" species?

I always feel a little crummy about the meat that has to be discarded with all the y-bones. I don't like to waste good fish, but it's inevitable to waste some for a truly boneless pike fillet.

I have to give credit to Gordie on this one. Take the Y bones out and use that chunk for your pickled pike. 2c

For many years, "jacks", as they were once called, were tossed on the shore, and primarily considered undesirable fish - for whatever reason I don't know? Long-standing traditions, and socially accepted norms are often hard to break. There are still millions of people out there that are blatantly racist, prejudiced, and fiercely proud of being so.

Could not agree more

Waste NO more Sam take those y bones and put in a bag until you have enough then use those for pickled pike MMMMMMMMMMMMMM then you do not have to worry about the waste grin

Many ,Many great recipe variations in the cooking forum for pickeld pike too and if you don't like them that way, invite archerysniper and myself over and we get rid of them for ya grin

Pike have had a bad rap for along time except to those who really know what this fish is about. What I am so used to hearing is ,It's the slime or its the smell and all those Y bones you have to pick thru to eat it. Blah, blah, blah.It only takes a little bit of time to take the Y bones out and with all the help vids out there today a person can watch how its done many time before even grabbing the knife.

Pike acctually have taste to them unlike the almighty walleye and its flat white tasteless fillet.

As a kid growing up on the sand creek the most fun we had was casting for pike with rapalas.

It was probably the first Game fish I ever caught and I have had a love for them ever since, my father would spear them and my grandfather would hook and line them but I think my favorite way to catch them was the way my grandfather did it, with a creek chub and a 30 bamboo cane pole, I haven't done that for a long time but I just may have to give that a try again for old time sakes.

First off leaving dead fish on the ice is wanton waste and should be reported and prosecuted.

But as far as northern pike being "unpopular"...

I am perfectly happy with the northern pike being "unpopular"

It sure beats having even more tipup fishermen parking around the spearshacks.

Go chase walleyes, perch, bass, sunfish, or other "elite" fish... move along nothing of interest in the northern pike over here.....

Before wishing they were more "popular" think for a minute what that would really translate too....

Those who love northern pike know better, and those who dont can continue to chase the species of their choice.....

That works for me.....

The South Dakota Game Fish and Parks weekly county fishing reports contained several reminders that leaving northerns on the ice is waton waste and a game violation. I know that a lot of perch and walleye anglers hate northerns for biting off their lines and scaring fish away. Why do northerns lack value in certain circles? Slobs exist everywhere, but their attitude toward northerns has to be based on more than slime and y bones.

Many people, especially in SD, do not realize how important large apex predators are to keep other fish populations in check. They simply see them as perch and walleye eating machines and think they are bad for the lake. It took some talking but finally convinced a few people at work that large pike are good for the lake and should be returned to the water, especially if not utilized in some other way. They used to leave them on shore or on the ice to waste. They now also release the 20+ inch walleye.

I simply do not think the GFP does a very good job of educating people about the fisheries and conservation. You see them saying not to leave pike on the ice every week in the fishing reports, but they never explain why. People simply do not know that they are important but seem quite receptive to the idea once it is explained to them. They also seem to not realize that the smaller pike are tasty as well.

There seems to be alot of somewhat biased reminders cooming from SD Game and fish since they opened up darkhouse spearing statewide (minus some "special lakes" of course)

Repeated reminders to keep spearing blocks off the ice, and now to keep northern pike off the ice... (all good reminders... but I think they are "preaching to the choir") my guess is that they are being influenced by some who do not believe darhouse spearers are ethical sportsmen....

That will fade with time, just like it has every other time darkhouse spearing opportunities were expanded...

I talked to SD fisheries people and several conservation officers about the best loations to try spearing and they all seemed supportive of expanding the sport. I agree that we need more education about the value of northerns as well as their taste on the table. I am more than happy to be the only one spearing on a lake, but I grew up in a time and place when spearing was a very social activity. I learned a lot of "wisdom" from the old guys in the neighboring fish houses. I sort of miss that element.

Thankfully the pike get no respect. wink Otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to spear them. whistle

Thank god the deer, ducks, geese, bear, cows, pigs, and other animals get no respect.... otherwise we would not be able to shoot and eat them... crazywhistle