• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rabbit and squirrel receipes

erikwells

It's been 15 years since I bagged rabbits and squirrels and I recall throwing them in the pan to get a little brown on then the to the crock pot for 6 hours or so in cream of mushroom soup. I recall it was pretty good but would like to hear about some other receipes if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks,

Erik

Here ya go; used this as a young woodsman and it never failed. First, shoot all squirrels through the eye-no lost meat. My granfather issued me six .22 longs for squirrel acquisition and I'd better have six when I returned to cabin.

Clean thoroughly, including the little "nuts" on inside or legs (scent glands) rinse in salt water for an hour or so. Take out, drain well on old newspapers or paper towels. In a big bowl dump flour, salt and pepper and a bit of chili powder if you wish. Dredge the pieces of meat in the flour mix and put in reefer to chill.

Make your corn bread-you should know the recipe by heart.

When CB is done begin heating the bacon grease in the cast iron pan. When it is just starting to smoke put the squirrel pieces in and reduce the heat a bit Turn the pieces regularly for ten minutes or so. Then dump it all into cast iron dutch oven, place in oven of the wood range and leave it for 45 minutes.

Enjoy a couple whiskey and sodas*. Bring out dutch oven, let it cool a bit and place squirrel on platter. Enjoy.

*In todays world this would most likely be something made with cheap vodka, seven kinds of liquer and a cup of sweetener, sipped with a chocolate straw.

Ahhhh yes! The Minnesota State Spoup: cream of mushroom! Ha Ha! You guys could take a coyote terrd and bake it in Cream of Mushroom and rave about the flavor. "Geee....this tastes just like chicken."

"No No! I tastes like chicken with Cream of Mushroom soup on it! Ha Ha Ha.

There's an old Norwegian hermit over on the wrong side of the lake who eats Wheaties with Cream Of Mushroom soup on them. And the waitress (wait person) at the Wretched Mess Cafe swears by Vienna sausages with Cream of Mushtoom soup on them.

Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm. Might just have some on my Super Bowl ribs tonight!!

Can't go wrong with a good ol' "chicken" noodle soup.

Sear the whole animal in a little bacon grease on high in a pan.

Then toss the whole critter in a crock pot on high with a little salt and pepper for 4-6 hours.

Pull it out and debone.

Put the meat back into the stock and add your fixin's (noodles, celery, carrots, and maybe some potatoes) with a couple chicken bullion cubes.

Giv'er a couple hours and wha'la!

Or you can cheat and just dump a bag of soup starter in smile

I will be making another batch this weekend. We put the rabbit and squirrel in a beer (of course) garlic and a few other things we made up as we went along (I wrote down the specifics if anyone wants to try it) overnight after it was thawed. Put them in the pan to get them browned and dunked them in the crock with oh yes mushroom soup. It was so good and now I know why the coyotes love their rabbit. I thought the rabbit in particular was some of the best meat I have ever tasted. Not sure the mushroom soup was necessary so will try some without it next time. That was some good eating and for those that turn their noses up at eating the rodents I say good for you I'll eat them. We had rabbit, squirrel and pheasant for our super bowl fare and it was almost unbeatable.

my favorite is fried squirrel or rabbit with pan gravy

(you can add a can of cream of mushroom soup to the gravy if you like grin)

but we make this once in a while. never tried it with rabbit, but i'm sure it would be just as good.

SQUIRREL JAMBALAYA

1 or 2 squirrels

salt & pepper

3 TB of oil

2 large onions

3 celery stalks

1 clove garlic

1 bell pepper

2 TB parsley

2 cups uncooked rice

1 quart tomatoes w/juice (i use home canned)

2 TB salt

1 package of okra (use fresh or frozen from the garden if ya got it)

Add Louisiana Cajun Seasoning or Zatarains Creole Seasoning to taste.

Cut squirrel into pieces and salt and pepper. Saute in oil until brown; remove from skillet. Chop and saute onion, pepper, celery, parsley and garlic in oil until wilted. Put squirrel back in skillet, cover and cook on low about 20 minutes or until squirrel is tender. Add rice, tomatoes, sliced okra and salt, stir, then simmer slowly 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. (check after 15-20 minutes and if the rice has soaked up all the juice, add a little more tomato juice or water.)

erik, you're dead on with the crock pot cream of mushroom. I made some ducks with a similar recipe the other day-delicious. Brown some onions and bacon and add them to the pot and throw in some cut up red potatoes to make it a little more interesting.