• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you upgrade your auger??

waxworm09

I am pretty cheap but I like to keep stuff in the ten year range. My old lazer got replaced with a new solo two years ago and am glad I did it. Runs nice, faster, easier to start ect. Can't say that there was anything major wrong with my old one but I just felt it was time. Instead of buying a whole new auger though I got a new 2.5hp solo powerhead. The lazer bit on my old auger worked just fine so a new motor was all I really needed. It works like a champ. I keep the old motor around and it is ready for backup just in case.

If I was you and you are planning on upgrading. Buy the auger now and sell the old one next fall. You will get more money for the auger next fall. Just like boats everyone buys them right before the season but very few buy them after the season.

Well said. My jiffy model 30 is so old I don't even remember how long I've had it. Only had it worked on once in all that time. Heavy as you know what but still love it. Father in law had one but bought an electric quite a few years ago. I hate that thing.

You have all the latest tech stuff. The newest jig rods. The fancy new flasher. The next greatest catch all baits. Don't give it a second thought and get that new auger.

I'm typing this in a whisper in the hope of keeping my 30 yr. old Eskimo from noticing this topic. I had to weld it together after the tubing of the auger shaft tore in two from metal fatigue. In addition to thousands of ice holes, it's drilled probably 50 or more holes in dirt with an auger bit I made into an earth bit. I've heard "Chipper" laugh 4 times...once in bailing out a Jiffy guy; twice when bailing out Strikemaster guys, and once when bailing out an "unknown" guy. It's been with me almost as long as my "bride" so it's probably achieved "til death do us part" status.

I'm still running my SM cobra 3hp. 8 1.4" hole but have bought a 8" hand lazer auger. Now i would likie to get adapter to put 8" lazer auger on 3hp motor. I just need to find a good machine shop with a lathe. It could become a good selling item.

My dad stepped up to a new Ion this year, and passed his Jiffy 76 down to me. He's had it longer than I can remember and the only time it has failed to cut holes is the first outing of 2011 season. He had (unknown to me at the time) used it to bore a couple holes in the yard where it was littered with broken chunks of pavement the summer beforehand and neglected to mention it to me. New blade and a bit of work to the tip with a grinder and she was back to throwing chips. It's heavy, it's ugly, it's slower than the buddies strikemaster, but it's earned it's keep, and ill keep drilling holes for my buddy when the strikemaster gets "out of pitch" for many years to come!