• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you upgrade your auger??

waxworm09

I have a question. I have a 10-12 year old strikemaster gas auger, bought new for $279. The auger has a few issues now, the on off switch is broke, there is a part that stops the auger from spinning that broke 5 years ago, auger spins without pressing the throttle, I have used it like that with no issues though. Now I noticed a gas leak, needs a carb kit which is 45 bucks with labor. I am considering selling the auger as is(I have a buyer for 65 bucks) and buying a new one next season. How often do you normally use an auger before you upgrade? It's my first auger, so not sure what to expect for a time frame. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. As weird as it sounds it would be like selling an old friend. We've been on so many adventures together. I paid $89 for a repair last year and she's back and she was back and running great until I broke the starter rope a few weeks back. At least I could fix that one free of charge grin I ran a buddies new SM solo and I loved it. Quicker and smother than my old laser but I'll stick with the old girl for at least another few years. If you're going to make the change this is a good time of year to do it. Lots of sales.

With that many problems I would get rid of it if you have a buyer for $65. I have an old Eskimo with zero problems and have no plans of getting rid of it. I have a buddy that gets a new one every 3-4 years always thinking its lighter, but the only thing that is lighter is his wallet. laugh

I upgrade mine about every 4 years. They are usually in great shape and the market is strong where if I get Cabelsa cash saved up and use their coupons at the end of the year it doesn't cost me much if anything. It was really nice when they did $150 off of $500. Every year I try to upgrade something new with my Cab cash. I would just hate to have my auger break down when I am on a long trip. It is a nice piece of mind to have for me.

Someone else can have my 30 year old white Jiffy when they pry my cold dead fingers from the handles.

I have a couple newer augers but that one NEVER lets me down. It won't flood, metal construction, doesn't leak oil, & cuts faster than any other auger I've tried.

2-strokes might have their quirks but I've never had a problem on the lake that I couldn't fix with a pocket tool.

2c

mine is nearing 8 years old and honestly I just had a tweak done to it and it is honestly cutting better than it ever has!! I have looked at getting a newer auger but after all the years I think that I have worked through all the problems and it is running so good.

I upgraded from my model 30 to a 3hp solo with the mora blade it think it is. I kept the jiffy for back up, I honestly have never used it since. It still makes the trips with us, like a geriatric grandfather.

the sheer weight difference cutting speed, and low gas consumption are the main reasons we have not touched the jiffy. I like to move around and use my portable, the auger is just a tool and everyone fishes differently so you need to get the best auger for your fishing type.

If I were to buy another auger it will be an Ion or an electric drill setup.

I've had my Jiffy model 30 for probably 12 years now. Still starts and runs great. 1st pull if I do my part, and it cuts ice well. It's a lot heavier than the new augers and I would like to get a new Solo or Nils. I probably will upgrade sometime but think I'll hold onto the Jiffy as a backup just in case.

Tucker

I buy a new one when I feel like it's time. Upgrading doesn't cost much if you keep your equipment nice, I've upgraded augers, shacks, sonar, ect for 1-2 hundred out of pocket and that's using said equipment for 4-5-6 years. If you wait to long your equipment eventually loses to much value, but if your happy with it no reason to sell it.

Someone else can have my 30 year old white Jiffy when they pry my cold dead fingers from the handles.

I have a couple newer augers but that one NEVER lets me down. It won't flood, metal construction, doesn't leak oil, & cuts faster than any other auger I've tried.

2-strokes might have their quirks but I've never had a problem on the lake that I couldn't fix with a pocket tool.

2c

I'll bet mines a twin! No plans for getting rid of it any time soon.

My Strikemaster Lazermag is 12 years old and running strong, starts on the third pull, and cuts like champ yet - but I did buy a SM electric last year for use in the wheel house, works ok but not a lot of capacity if you want to drill more holes outside, so then I get the Lazer out but not liking having to take two augers with, they take up too much room, so contemplating getting one of the propane fired ones for use in the wheelhouse AND outside - but still hate to part with my old friend Mr. Lazermag.

I upgraded my mora hand auger to a SM MagIII, I am pretty confident it was 12yrs old when I got it. It's ugly, but so am I. I won't be upgrading unless it dies, and even then I'll probably buy another used auger.

My thinking is upgrade when you feel the time is right, and sell your old but still good equipment to people like me wink Then we are both happy!

I bought a used MagIII about 25 years ago. It lasted me until two years ago when I did some supertuning to it.

I adjust the high speed jets and had that bad boy really screaming. I was cutting holes like crazy. Then the piston flew out the side of the crankcase.

I bought a new solo. I will NOT be adjusting anything on this one. LOL

I had S/M MagnumIII that was at least 20 years old. It was still running great till the night it was stolen on N. Center Lake a couple years ago. Bought a Lazer to replace it, still wish I had that old dog back. And would like to try it out on the punk that stole it.

I have had my Nils for about 7 years and dont plan on getting anything else for a long long time. Its running better now than ever. Take care of the auger and they will last many many years.

I got my Nils last season, and I'm in my early 50's. I'm hoping this is my last auger. Of course by then there will be something even better, so who knows?