• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amp/Deck Settings

I just put a new amp/sub in my truck - it's great hearing James Jamerson, John Paul Jones, and McCartney hit those notes again!

My Pioneer deck (5-6 years old) has a high-pass filter for the main speakers and also a filter setting for the sub. Then the amp itself has a high/low/all-pass filter. I've got the amp set to allow signals under 130, with the deck's high-pass filter at 125 and the sub filter at 125. My question is:

Does it even matter what I set my amp's low-pass filter to, if I'm filtering at the Pioneer deck?

Yes, it does, because overlaying (for lack of better term) the two filters causes the net slope of the filters to be additive. This causes a tendency to have a dip in frequency response in the crossover zone rather than a smooth transition.

Generally you'd use the HPF and LPF settings in one or the other but not both unless, maybe, you were trying to fix a specific issue in the tuning/frequency response. What matters most though is if you think it sounds good.