• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
TruthWalleyes

Smoke and LOUD Squeel 99 Bonne

99 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8vinK 242,000 miles.

Started fine this morning. 15 minutes later smoke is coming out of the hood. Didn't sound good, but no squeeling. Shut off motor. Opened hood. Smoke smells like burning rubber. Notice a few drops of fluids on the ground under the engine, could be oily melting snow from the heat too, will check when i get home this afternoon.

Appeared like some heat/smoke coming from the pulley that is under the coolant pump.

So i started the vehicle again. Turned on fine, squeeled like a mo fo. I would think the loud squeel was the belt, sounded like a little grinding happening as well. I had repalced the coolant pump a few months ago.

Got into a different vehicle and went to work.

Any help on diagnosing this?

Thanks experts.

Now that you mention it...No AC in the last year, Definitely some rubbing/grinding from the AC over the summer, but haven't heard anything from it lately. Could very easily be A/C Compressor. Can you replace that with a bypass pulley if it is truely bad?

They do make bypass pulleys for your car. They run about $50. A used compressor from a u-pull could be less (I paid $15 for one for my saturn) and you would be able to have a/c this summer.

I just checked.......the salvage yard near where I work has used AC compressors for 20 bucks for your car.

I have a reclaimer, tanks, gauges, ect, and a garage if you're feeling sporty.

I have a reclaimer, tanks, gauges, ect, and a garage if you're feeling sporty.

Hopefully i can fix it up here, might be down this weekend to see my brothers new kid. I'll hit you up. Maybe wee can go fishing.

We're watching Maggies kid this weekend so I don't know if I'll be able to hit the lake. Iffin I can escape for a while I know a couple areas the perch are bitin.

Check for a locked up idler or tensioner pulley, or an alternator seized up.

Tensioner pulley went out. Have on order at napa for Saturday morning. $71. Thanks for the help you guys.

Happened to me going down the road in an Eagle Vision some years back. All of a sudden there was this cloud of smoke rolling out from under the hood...the AC compressor had locked up. Sorta catches you off guard...was like what heck??? Will admit "heck" wasn't the word I used. smile