• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics app accuracy

H0LE HOPPER

HOnestly, it's going to depend on your smartphone. I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is fairly accurate. My older Droid X was a bit off. The Commando (i think is what its called) seems to be great.

different phones have different GPS hardware in them which makes the accuracy change.

Ive got it on my Commando, its poor at best! My Garmin with a Lakemaster chip is way more accurate. Im not sure if its the GPS on the phone that is the problem or the map itself. I didnt use it much on LOTW because it is so far off but around here its about 100' off.

Kills the battery in a big hurry too if you use it outside in the cold.

I have an iPhone and it's a good 25-50+' off at times. Not sure if it's the map or the GPS in the phone but last time I used it I was in 18' of water and it said I was in 10'. When I use the google maps on my phone it will show where I am within a couple feet so that's the only reason I wonder if it's the maps instead of the phone. I've heard people blame it on low water levels but if that were the case it would tell me I am deeper than I am, not shallower. It's still useful, just plan on doing some searching when you get close to where you want to be. It's great for marking the access on large lakes to find your way back if needed, it's well worth the money vs a handheld GPS, but not always as accurate.

It would be interesting to see the map data for the various gps mapping software to compare how similar they are... assuming they are not made from the same dataset, if the maps show the same thing it's a vote of confidence that the maps represent what's actually going at the bottom of the lake.

A particular company's map data should be the exact same across all platforms. I'm thinking if most people say a certain lake is dead on, especially people using real GPS receivers and not phones, then that lake's map data is probably dead on, +/- lake levels.

I'd bet that the GPS chip in your device plays more of a role in accuracy than anything else. Off by 50 feet is nothing if you are looking for the starbucks. Might be different if you are trying to find that secret rock pile.

I also have the iPhone, and don't experience the same issues you do ... Interesting. I have a base model 4 ... Wonder if that plays any role? Overall though it seems to work great for me ... Transitions and humps appear where they should be, save for a foot or two or three off depth wise. Again, I attribute that to both low water levels and well over a foot of ice ...

I just upgraded from htc evo (Droid) to iPhone 5 and I can't say for certain but the evo sure seemed to be much more accurate and show more detail than the new iPhone. Had to buy it again too unfortunately.

The maps seem very detailed on the app, I'm pretty sure my accuracy issues relating to the marker showing "my position" is because of the phone. It's and iPhone 3 so it's hard to say. Seems there is a lot of variance between phones and how accurate the GPS side of it is. Though the maps that I have used are very detailed and compared to a DNR map seem very accurate, it's really just a matter of getting close then using a depth-finder to locate the feature you are looking for. The more I use it, the more I get familiar with how far off it is and can predict approximately where I am based on where the marker says I am.

This app has worked very well for me on my driod4 and very accurate on most lakes. One exception. The map of lake Independence was completely off. Compared mine to my buddies same navionic map of Indy and they were completely different. All in all I've really enjoyed this app tho smile

It's probably a combo of the maps and the hardware.

Assuming the app uses the same software as their chips (which are upgradable by the way) then there are variances in the acuarcy in the data.

Search the open water forum for discussions on variations in peoples preferences between LM and Navionics when run in the same equipment. You will find that people prefer LM on some lakes and Navionics on others. I am one of those people.

For example, I prefer LM on Mille Lacs and Navionics on Vermilion. Was just on Red a few weeks ago and didn't think to compare them. Oops.

An example in the Metro, Navionics is the clear winner on Spring Lake (Scott) over LM.

Ive got a prepaid Android phone on Virgin Mobile, the HTC One V. I have now used the app twice. Once on Nokomis and then today on Smetana.

Id say I was within about 7 yards of where the app said I was. Close enough for me. I have only a hand auger and its saved me drilling holes. Ive only drilled two this weekend and found I was close enough to my spot to call the fish in.

Its $10 and its better than nothing, thats for sure.

I have had good and bad experiences. On Cedar in Rice County it is terrible, off by 10-15' in a lot of places. I think it's the depth contours that are off, as it seemed to accurately place me on the lake. It is good for marking spots and getting back to them, but the maps can be way off. I used to love it, but the more I use it on different lakes the more I find out that it can be basically unusable in a lot of situations. I just don't trust it anymore after seeing it be so far off.

I Phone 4s is very accurate. Remember though, the Navionics is not as accurate as Lakemaster from what I've seen from my boat with both chips on the same lake. Remember also, some of the lakes are just old DNR maps. On Red I've found it to be pretty close.

I have had good and bad experiences. On Cedar in Rice County it is terrible, off by 10-15' in a lot of places. I think it's the depth contours that are off, as it seemed to accurately place me on the lake. It is good for marking spots and getting back to them, but the maps can be way off. I used to love it, but the more I use it on different lakes the more I find out that it can be basically unusable in a lot of situations. I just don't trust it anymore after seeing it be so far off.

10 - 15 feet off? That is considered bad? I think that's pretty dang accurate. 10.00 for a phone app or 200-1000 for a standalone GPS unit?

I use the app to get me in the general location and I start drilling a few holes to fine tune my location / depth.

I have Navonics app on my Android. I can't figure out how to mark a location while looking at the contour map, set a waypoint, and have the Phone GPS take me right to it. Is this possible? How do you do it?
For placing a "waypoint" tap the screen where you want to place a marker, you will then get a "Tap for more info", tap this box and then choose "add to favorites". It will then prompt you for a name, typically it starts with "Marker".

This will be a waypoint that only YOU can see. If you want to mark something for everyone in the "community" to see, then you create an object instead of "add to favorites".

Regarding the navigation or guiding to your spot i have not figured out how to do that but I dont use my phone for that anyway.

You can create routes and such, but again thats not something I use my phone for, I use my HDS for doing that, much easier to read with the larger screen.

Midcoast Either leave a plot trail or just zoom out and let your arrow lead you to your spot. This is the easiest way for finding your fish house or another spot in the winter. I never use mine in a a boat so not sure of how -Go To- works.

Anyone care to shed some light on how accurate the maps on there for the bigg 6, particularily red lake?

Have the download from from a few years ago, and do not know if it has been updated, but it does not work well on RED. Well.... it works.... but the mapping is not that extensive, and use lakemaster chips for it. Many other bigger/popular lakes have been 1 to 3 ft incremented and is a no brainer for the price and ease of use.