• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dimmer switch to power rod dryer?

I am about to start my first rod build. And looking a rod dryers/wrappers... Most dryers are in the 6-12 RPM range. My question to you guys is, if I purchased a faster RPM machine, could I rig a dimmer switch in between the machine and the outlet? Would that allow me to adjust the RPMs and make both a wrapper and dryer with one motor?

Again, I'm new and not sure if I want to invest a ton of money into this until I make a few rods and like it. SO another side question would be what do you suggest for a start-up dryer set-up?

Thanks guys and I look forward to building my first fishing rod.

I think I would just worry about the dryer and forget the wrapper... at least at this point. You don't need a power wrapper to build yourself a rod and having never built one before, I'm thinking the power wrapper might be a little too much. Wrap them the old fashioned way, then think about a power wrapper.

You can find drying motors on that big e-auction site and build your own set up for cheap. I bought a drying motor, chuck, and base for about 20 bucks. The base was some sort of plastic and the whole unit was obviously put together by someone with a bunch of AC motors trying to make a couple extra bucks out in the garage. I didn't like the base so I built a new one with some old scrap wood. Built all my rod supports out of scrap wood too, glued down some felt to protect the blank. And I built my thread tensioner out of scrap wood, a couple long bolts, a bunch of washers and a spring I found laying around.

All said and done, I was well under $50 for my rod building set up.

It has to be a motor that is capable of variable RPM. I have an 18 and tried it anyhow, no go. Just gets hot.

Good point. I was thinking that would happen and that's why I didn't want to comment.

Go with the lowest RPM dryer you can. This will give you the best finish.

Try to get one that is belt driven (so you can take the belt off and spin it by hand) or one with a slip clutch.

if you want a cheap dryer motor. find a broken microwave and take the turntable motor out of it....I get them all the time when people drop them on the curb. they work great and when one breaks it doesnt cost you anything to replace.....most are 3-6 RPM