• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting on a frozen public lake

erikwells

I was fishing a lake in west central minnesota and went exploring the shore line and a channel. I noticed the area in a narrow channel had a lot of coyote sign and then watched one run across a small bay. There are thick bullrushes on the lake which would provide nice cover and the nearest home is probably 300 feet or so from the bullrushes. I would like to sit in the rushes in the morning with my shotgun to see if I could call a coyote in close. Any thoughts on what I can do to be sure I'm hunting legally? I obviously will be aware of the direction I'm shooting and what is behind my target. Thanks.

Thanks, hockeybc69. It's probably a close call on if there is 500 feet. Feeling like I may or may not be breaking the law takes a lot of the fun out of it so I think I'll stick to hunting my deer land for the varmits. Erik

I belive the 500 ft rule only applys to buildings with live stock and not.residential dwelling at least that's how the dnr explained it to me. I also think that may have been on open water too. Not positive.

I think that the land owner just has to be aware of what your doing also.like I stated that's how it was explained to me by the dnr . I hunt a creek that feeds into a lake for ducks with houses that are about 400_450 ft at the closest. That's how found out it was legal for me to hunt it.

I might know the area you are talking of.and that is where I was talking of.

Gordie's right...here it is from the Mn Trespass law...

On another person’s private land or a public right-of-way, a person may not take a wild animal with a firearm within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or livestock without written permission of the owner, occupant or lessee of the building. A person may hunt from the water or from public land that is within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or livestock.

• A person may not take a wild animal with a firearm within 500 feet of a corral containing livestock without permission.

On page 6 of the Minnesota Hunting&Trapping Regulations Handbook It states:A person may hunt from the water within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or livestock.

It would not hurt to tell the people living close to the lake that you intend to give them an early morning wake up call when you shoot those coyotes.

Workin'

Good advice we have a place on this lake. They are from Canada and are only at the lake 2 months out of the year. I would like to get in touch with them before I go. A heads up that you might hear gunshots in the dead of winter is probably a good idea. I'll file that spot away until I can get in touch with them. I really need to get out to my deer land and thin out the pack that runs in the area anyways. Thanks for all of your help with getting started coyote hunting. Erik