• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
erikwells

Hunting on a frozen public lake

I was fishing a lake in west central minnesota and went exploring the shore line and a channel. I noticed the area in a narrow channel had a lot of coyote sign and then watched one run across a small bay. There are thick bullrushes on the lake which would provide nice cover and the nearest home is probably 300 feet or so from the bullrushes. I would like to sit in the rushes in the morning with my shotgun to see if I could call a coyote in close. Any thoughts on what I can do to be sure I'm hunting legally? I obviously will be aware of the direction I'm shooting and what is behind my target. Thanks.

No different than if you were to sit there and duck hunt in my opinion.

Keep in mind you need to be 500ft from dwellings, cattle, and whatever else is stated....

Thanks, hockeybc69. It's probably a close call on if there is 500 feet. Feeling like I may or may not be breaking the law takes a lot of the fun out of it so I think I'll stick to hunting my deer land for the varmits. Erik

erik, dont be afraid to walk up to the closest land owner, and ask them if they mind if you can hunt there. Most land owners dont like coyotes, and would love for someone to take them out.

I belive the 500 ft rule only applys to buildings with live stock and not.residential dwelling at least that's how the dnr explained it to me. I also think that may have been on open water too. Not positive.

I think that the land owner just has to be aware of what your doing also.like I stated that's how it was explained to me by the dnr . I hunt a creek that feeds into a lake for ducks with houses that are about 400_450 ft at the closest. That's how found out it was legal for me to hunt it.

I might know the area you are talking of.and that is where I was talking of.

Gordie's right...here it is from the Mn Trespass law...

On another person’s private land or a public right-of-way, a person may not take a wild animal with a firearm within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or livestock without written permission of the owner, occupant or lessee of the building. A person may hunt from the water or from public land that is within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or livestock.

• A person may not take a wild animal with a firearm within 500 feet of a corral containing livestock without permission.

On page 6 of the Minnesota Hunting&Trapping Regulations Handbook It states:A person may hunt from the water within 500 feet of a building occupied by humans or livestock.

It would not hurt to tell the people living close to the lake that you intend to give them an early morning wake up call when you shoot those coyotes.

Workin'

Wow now I really feel slow when I type,started my post clicked submit and find out I was 6 minutes slower than lichen fox.

Workin'

Good advice we have a place on this lake. They are from Canada and are only at the lake 2 months out of the year. I would like to get in touch with them before I go. A heads up that you might hear gunshots in the dead of winter is probably a good idea. I'll file that spot away until I can get in touch with them. I really need to get out to my deer land and thin out the pack that runs in the area anyways. Thanks for all of your help with getting started coyote hunting. Erik