• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do It Yourself: Rod Protector out of Goodyear Wiper Blade Container

Lusid

Thanks for the kind words.

Just wanted to add, I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut the notches.

After pondering a bit, I should have cut in 1" more so I could add the tail cap fully enclosing the rod/reel inside the tube adding more protection.

Happy fishing,

Andy

Made a slight adjustment to my previous notches.

See pictures below:

full-22855-29641-photo1.jpg

Deeper notches allowed me to put the tail cap on, as a result the end product is now self contained. Adding a ton more rigidity!

full-22855-29642-photo2.jpg

If you don't have a bunch of goodyear wiper blade containers laying around go with a fluorescent bulb protector.

8 feet for a few bucks at the big orange home improvement store. near the fluoro hanging workbench fixtures.

I use a bit of velcro to make a strap to hold the rod in. I saw somebody posted a similar setup a couple days ago.

For those who are using fluorescent bulb protector, think you could heat mold the rod area more flat? In my rod box I don't have a ton of space. That's why I liked the wiper blade container due to his low profile.

Have been using PVC tubes for a few years with short bungee cords mounted on the cut-in slots to hold the rods in by the reel support arm.

1070243d.jpg

Just remember to turn off your anti-reverse in case you accidentally turn reel handles so as to not snap off tips on your delicate rods.

For those who are using fluorescent bulb protector, think you could heat mold the rod area more flat? In my rod box I don't have a ton of space. That's why I liked the wiper blade container due to his low profile.

I have just a soft-sided Cabelas rod case. I can fit four of my rods in there just fine with the light protectors on. Not sure if I'd want to heat it.

I'll post a pic of what it looks like, if I can find it.

Maybe... I have a couple stouter rods that the biggest line guides barely fit and I heated the tube up and squeezed it a bit to make it more oval. That worked.

the bulb protectors aren't run over it with your truck proof, but they are gonna be a lot lighter weight than PVC or the golf bag tubes.