• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to handle pike for catch and release??

BLACKJACK

Here's a good example. Sunday the walleyes were inhaling the jigs. As soon as the walleye is at the top of the hole, i grab the bottom jaw with the fish grip. Reach over to get my pliers, and gently remove the hook from back of the throat.

Harmless. Notice how i never even needed to pull the fish out of the hole wink Mouth open, easy access, and full control of the fish.

full-26433-30055-2013_02_10_07_38_05_953

Thanks for the picture!!! I have my fish grip in the fish house, hope to be able to use it this weekend!!

I see you like liny Flyer jigs, I love them too. When not fishing pike I see three options, hook, red hook, lindy flyer jig.

Replace the hooks on the smaller versions for the size hooks on the bigger versions...Almost all of my spoons have bigger trebles now. Got REAL sick of losing fish!

Catch & release is the best thing to happen for sportfishermen ever. And I'm tickled to see folks interested in doing it correctly. It's wonderful that folks are releasing fish for others to enjoy, but catch & release is only successful if the fish survives. Just because you see a fish swim away does not mean the fish will survive the encounter. Many just swim away, glide to the bottom and become turtle food. It is referred to as delayed mortality. There are several things that can be done to up the fishes odds of surviving. The one thing that I believe kills more fish that were intended to be released is time out of the water. And the best way to minimize that is to be prepared. Keep those release tools at ready and close by. If a photo is not needed, unhook the fish while it is still in the water. If a photo is needed, have that camera ready and focused before the fish is removed from the water. So, how long can you keep a big fish out of water without harming it? A good rule of thumb is that a fish cannot hold it's breath any longer than you can. When you pull a fish out of the water, hold your breath. When you feel the need to breath, so does the fish. Time to put her back!

Jack, thanks for your post. Beyond just holding your breath, think of yourself sprinting away from an attacker to the point of exhaustion, and then being captured and unable to breathe for a minute or two. Granted, the metabolism of fish is different from ours, but C&R should be done as carefully as possible.

I fish with a guy who uses one of these, and I have to say its a great thing for Northerns...When I ice fish I like to use a gaff made from a large fishing hook, I figure that can't hurt them at all.

full-41104-30362-gripper.jpg

How are you going to grab them by the eye sockets if they are not turned up the hole? I am not sticking my hand where a pike lives and has the advantage. I have seen, too many people get bit, and once was enough for me. IMO jaw grippers are clumbsy, too short (espcially with thicker ice and a pike that wont turn up a hole), and pike are known for their headshakes. A lot of the times I saw them used the pike was able to free itself the first few tries. I really do not see the problem with a gaff. They are simple, effective, and if anything reduce the chance of hurting a fish. A net is the best choice, but they are not an option in the winter.

Of course you would not grab them by their eye sockets!

But I wouldn't use a gaff unless you were going to keep the fish. It's to easy to snag and rip a gill when their spining in the hole and then they are done for sure. wink

Want to know the effects of grabbing a pike by the eyes? Here's a simple test. Tape your eyelids open and stick your fingers in your eyes, making sure you rub across the surface. Feel good? Can you still see? I agree with leech on the gaff too.