• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eskimo Hubs 949i and QFi

fisherman-andy

Well i'll likely be buying either a 949i or Clam Bigfoot comes end of the season deals. I've had a chance to see both the 949i and Bigfoot 4000 in person but not in use yet. Seen the reviews on the Bigfoot with minimal issues for most part but would like to see some of the new 949i owners to chime in on their hubs this year for issues as from what I hear Eskimo has made update fixes?

As far as the Quickfish hub we stopped over the weekend and picked up a QF3i which is the insulated version at Reed Sporting Goods in Walker, MN during an ice fishing trip. During purchase at the cashier desk we notice our QF3i box seemed to have been resealed with tape. We had asked for another box and young cashier lady seemed puzzled or hesistant to give us another one. She had asked an older lady who also works there and she perceived to tell us it may have just been resealed due to breakage during shipment and said it was fine. Well I told her we understood that but prefer factory sealed box instead due to that we dont want to deal with the mishaps of missing or unlabeled returns. The older lady told me they wouldnt do that to customers. At this point im thinking why are you arguing with me? Me and my buddies spend hundreds of dollars everytime we drive by your store during ice fishing trips. She then just walked away from us. I smiled at the young lady at the cash register and say Psst! You guys have 6 boxes on the floor, its all the same model and same price. We are gonna swap it out with one that doesnt have a repackaged tape. After all we are 4hrs away from home and dont want to deal with the hassle. Reluctantly she agreed. This was about the worse service ive had with Reeds so far. Normally their awesome.

Well onward to the QF3i review. On setup the hub felt very sturdy and the fabric appears to be the same that is on from the 949i models. The poles feel stronger and held up firm in the wind. There was no sagging but the poles looked just a tad bit long on top hence the slight bend. The ice anchors grabbed well as we were on 25" of ice. With the buddy heater on low it was warm enough, on high it become too warm lol. The hub would fit 3 anglers but it be a squeeze. Just enough for 2 guys and their equipment. Setup and take down was a breeze with the hub. The bag still felt too small and had the cinch string. We struggled to put it back in and feel at some point the bag will eventually wear or tear. In all we paid $250 w/tax for the hub and felt it satisfied with it so far. We would've purchased a new 949i instead but Reeds didnt have any left in stock. They didnt have any Clam bigfoots either.

Flip the coin....since this is the 949i's man up year I went with that, and so far no problems with the poles, as expected. Zippers are not as smooth as a clam, but have not broke. Bag is way to small, but anchors are way better. Windows are in a better position, but looks like the Bigfoot comes with better compartment features ....if they didn't forget to put them in..... and looks like if they did your better off because they will replace with something better. Either one will be fine.......as a 3 man option.

I have the 949i and am satisfied with it. That being said I have last years model and I had one of the "good"? Ones. No problems with poles or zippers but like said the bag sucks even with a cinch strap. I will be getting the hockey stick bag as a buddy has one and it fits the house and extras with room to spare along with being ultra durable with heavy zippers. Would I purchase the 949i Again YES I would. Fished outta the clam over the weekend and it was a nice house but didn't see the setup or tear down process. Just remember with the catfish to always pull the roof up first.

I bought a 949i from thorne bros this year and love it!!! the bag shredded after the first use but they sent me a new one (got it in one day) so no complaints there!!! the new hubs are way better then last years, and overall it just seems better...I saw glens has them on sale for 249 now,,,a steal in my eyes!!! i think you would really like it..

The first thing i did was fing 4 ice screws on the common auction site that begins with an e...then i went to FF and bought some adjustable buckle straps to replace the strings it comes with to attach to the anchors...i now use those to wrap around the shack to fit it in the bag and it works great....so for 249.99 plus 40 (ice screws) and 15 (buckle straps) i am totally set!!!