• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jammed rounds/Federals

Does anyone have problems with Federal shells jamming? I picked up a few boxes 2 years ago and they consanatly jam. I'm not sure what the exact nomenclature is, but they are 3" 1 3/8 oz. loads. Whether they are too long or to me it seems like the brass expands and does not eject. A stick or something similr would have to be rammed down the barrel to get them out. Not fun at first light with a good flight of birds! I shoot a Browning BPS 12 and a Remington 870. My buddy who I got them from had the same problem, he shoots a Bennelli. Normally I shoot 1 1/4 oz loads, but I thought the 1 3/8 oz with an improved choke might give me a denser pattern.

Never a problem in my Browning auto or Remington pump. In fact the only problem I had with one of those shells is one the didn't fire. That's about it.

I've only seen Federals jam a few times and they were both fired from Winchesters.

Not trying to say which is a better gun, but I have shot thousands of rounds, almost all Federal, through both my 870 and 1100 and never had a jam that was caused by the shell itself....a few from operator error...lol

Are you guys talking about shooting 1 3/8 oz or Federal shells in general? I normally shoot 3" 1 1/4 oz Remington,Federal,or Winchester. The price is right for me. The Federal 1 3/8 oz were given to me in the blind after several rounds continued to get stuck in the reciever after firing. My freind was shooting a Bennelli semi-automatic. I've had 0 problems with any shells prior to these. Give me some expensive 1 3/8 oz loads? Hell yea! Emptyed my gun and reloaded with my new expensive rounds, bang...stuck. Uhhh, can I borrow your ramming stick?

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 08-08-2003).]

I usually buy nothing but federal too,
I've had this happen in my old Rem/ Model 11,
a few times , but not yet in the Benelli, but I've only had it out shooting a few times so far.
I was just assuming with the model 11, that it probably getten pretty worn by now as since my grandpa owned it, its been through many family members hands and gone through many boxes of shells