• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoking Poultry and a Butt Together

I am looking at doing either a large chicken or small turkey, and a 6-8# butt for the Super Bowl.

Is there any issues when smoking these two together? I realize the usual smoke temps are different, but I will have ample time to keep the bird in at 225 to get it to its needed internal temp. And it will be done way before the butt, but i'll be using it cold (mainly for slicing on crackers)

Any taste problems with both poultry and pork together in the smoker (its a masterbuilt electric)?

Anything else I havnt thought of, suggestions? Thanks!

Xplorer - Something to consider. Throw the butt in the smoker for 4 hours Saturday night (6:00 - 10;00), then bring in, foil, add some apple juice and finish in the oven @ 225 overnight.

In the morning, wrap the butt (in the foil) in a blanket or big towel and hold in a 12 pack cooler. It'll hold nicely for 4-5 hours or so, then pull and throw in a crock pot with some additional liquid on warm. Otherwise, you'll need to have that butt in the smoker by at least 6:00 AM to be done for the game and it won't really have a lot of time to rest. i did this method the last time I did an 8 lber and it worked great and no worries about whether it will be done in time.

Sleep in a little bit and throw the bird in 9:00 and cook till done. Are you going to brine the bird? You could do that the night before as well.

Jim,

I was actually going to start the smoke saturday night after we get home from snowmobiling up in Finland/Isabella which may be a bit late (doing a loop from 2 harbors up the NST to the Trestle Inn, and then up to the Knotty Pine and down the Yukon trail back).

I found a bourbon brine that looks really good (plus I like bourbon so....bonus!) for the bird. I've got a 6# chicken in the freezer I'm gonna do, plus the butt. I'm thinking that the bird will be done shortly after the time that I would need to foil the butt, so it would really only cost me an hour or 2 of getting up during the night.

I guess I'll see how I feel when we get back from the ride. I'll have the bird brined an the butt ready to go too, so if'n I feel too tired I may try your oven method. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Well its been awhile since I smoked anything so I just decided that I wasnt gonna let a lack of time get in the way this weekend! I'm gonna have to "rub butt and brine bird" on friday night so they are ready when i get home saturday.

Hey, March 9th Dylan has a tourny in Ogilvie, I think that is pretty close to your place. If you are up that weekend maybe we could stop by and say HI and the Mrs could see your place.

Did a bunch more research last night and today and sounds like your right atvlaska. Chicken is not made to go slow and low like pork/beef, due to minimal fat content.

New plan! Gonna do the butt saturday night when I get home, figure it should be in the smoker by 9. I'll brine the chicken at this time also. Smoke butt in usual method at 225. Depending on its weight I should be able to get it wrapped and in a cooler in early morning between 7-9.

Then I'll kick the smoker up to @285 and put in the brined chicken. Looks like the 5.5#er should be done in about 4.5-5 hours. Worst case this puts me at about 2:30. Plenty enough time to chill it and serve both for a pre-game meal at about 4:30!! With kickoff at about 5:30 I figure there will be a leftovers rush at halftime!