• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to spearing/Portable issues

ethanR

Hey guys, I am new to spearing and have a few questions I'd like to ask. I am trying to spear out of a Shappell Wide House hub style portable. I've been out twice now both times on what I thought to be a good spot, 8-9 fow, great clarity, close to a deep hole in the lake, and lots of weeds on the bottom. I sat for 6 hours the first day and 5 the second day. I've only seen two bluegills in all that time. Something is not right here. I've been talking to my dad and other friends who have speared and they think I might need some kind of make shift floor. I will admit it's not as dark as a permanent darkhouse and alot of light comes up through the ice, but could this really be spooking fish? Also I'd really like to not have to move to too many different spots, considering I put my holes in with a hand auger and spud bar. Not the most fun i've ever had. Haha

Any and all help is welcome. Much Thanks!

Not a problem, lots of guys spear out of some sort of portable. If you think there is to much light coming thru the ice. put down a piece of carpet or rubber mat to reduce the light through the ice. In my otter it is light enough to read a paper in there. but the biggest thing is moving stuff across the ice, and boots crunching on the ice. the carpet and/or mat will reduce the sound and light. I have on ocasions put a tarp over the otter to reduce the bright sunny days coming throught the fabric. It sounds like you are in a good spot, if the weeds are standing make sure your not surrounded by tall weeds where fish swimming a little ways away can't see the decoy. Also if they are laying down, I would move a little deeper on the outside of the weedline. they will be cruising the edge if the weeds have layed down.

A floor helps alot.

I just recently started spearing out of my QF4. I was concerned it wouldn't be dark enough but it has worked great. I have a full floor which in my opinion is the only way to go.

My perm or other portable is better because they are darker but the QF seems to get the job done

Keep at it man. Sounds like you fished good waters to me. I speared my PB out of my hub house and I didn't even have the windows taped up. As long as there isn't direct light shining in the hole you should be ok. I use a 3X4' chunk of carpet to reduce noise. Even on the best spots you will have plenty of days without seeing a pike...

A floor helps alot.

I just recently started spearing out of my QF4. I was concerned it wouldn't be dark enough but it has worked great. I have a full floor which in my opinion is the only way to go.

My perm or other portable is better because they are darker but the QF seems to get the job done

Same i picked up a QF3 and took it out once lots of light though the ice, i made a floor for it costed me maybe $25 in lumber and it helped a ton plus i can put everything in my car which is nice.

Thanks for the input so far! I picked up a black tarp today and threw it on the floor and it seemed to make quite a difference in brightness inside(And in temp.) What do you look for as far as structure and depth when you set up? Underwater points/islands? Shallow weed flats? Just curious what has seemed to work in your experiences.

An actual floor is a must for a hub imo. I first posted my floor design for the QF3 4 years ago and you can see from above they love the concept. Keeps your feet dry and warm. Its portable, fits even in a small cobalt car. Still is light and really helps keep it dark. 7/16" play wood and a 2x2 frame with 2 hinges and some marine carpet and your set! Absolutely love spearing from my hub style blind.

Great thread! I came onto the forum to ask about hub style shacks to spear from.

Recently, here in NE. SD we' e recieved alot of snow and i think we are done moving wheelhouses around effectively. Ive been thinking of getting a QF3 or something similar. So a piece of carpet would be satisfactory to cover the floorspace ??