• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey I'll be going to North Dakota State this fall in Fargo, never duck hunted the area just curious if anybody on here knows how the duck/goose hunting in the area is in the fall? Within 30 miles from moorhead would be nice. Thanks for any comments, will keep you updated as the fall rolls on.

From moorhead it will be worth the extra drive to go to devils lake area for some incredible duck hunting. If you want to stay in minnesota going south to the wheaton area would be my recommendation. There is not much for wetlands right in the moorhead area, when I went to college up there we would lay in the ditch just north of town and get geese as they flew from the fields to the water treatment area. good luck

I lived in Moorhead for four years and hunted the area a lot. If you buy a the big red MN atlas book (I can't recall the name) you will find a bunch of public hunting lands including WPA's, WMA's, potholes and lakes to hunt in the Hawley/Hitterdal area. I hunted one lake up there that was absolutely incredible for puddle ducks, divers and geese. Little hunting pressure too. You'd hardly guess the lake was good for waterfowl.

If you have a canoe or portageable boat, there lies some excellent potholes that see hardly any hunters! You have to work to haul a boat in some areas, but worth it.

Thanks for the info guys. The Hawley-Hitterdal area is the area that i was planning on hunting, also south of there. Looking at the atlas it looks like all the ponds start forming in that area. And about the atlas I have one, it's almost my best friend, they're amazing, I love it. As far as ND I've gone there the past three years, always been awesome, will probably go again this year, need to conserve my money though, we'll see how MN is up there before I decide. My first goal is to find a early goose season spot, I got two weeks and labor day weekend to do it so hopefully it works out. Another thing about ND, I dont qualify as a resident even though I'm going to school there, so I only get my alloted time, well I dont know when I might have a day here and there when I can take off and hunt. This really sucks and needs to be addressed to someone in ND.

Flick

I think the Atlas CD was trying to think of was a Minnesota Atlas made by Delorme. They cost about $15 and show pertty much all the public land in Minnesota. I think Delorme makes maps for all 50 states very useful. Devils lake is deffinatly worth the drive.

Take a close look at this years early goose regulations. It sounds like they are allowing more open water hunting this season. Geese love the water that time of the year when it still hits 80+ degrees during the day. Last year was the most stormy, hot and humid day I can recall and we smoked em on the water.

I do very well on geese in the water (especially near Moorhead) during the regular waterfowl season. 6 goose floating decoys set aside from the duck deks spread is all I use.

Good luck!

North of hawley is good too, I cant speak for the public land becasue i was lucky enough to hunt with a frien d on his Uncles land, after he went away in the service, I quit duck hunting, HEH! Just got lazy i guess trying to find my own spot.
Back then ,I even had a really great spot, abit southeast of Downer. after a dry spell, i get there opener one morning, and everything was all dried up. That was depressing.
Back then I even had some luck with a pheasant here and there North east of Downer.
I believe that entire area is worth scouting.
Theres one slough i would have liked to get on,but was private land and the same group came back every year. I was thinking of asking the farmer again,since its been awhile, but even if he gave me the o.k., my brother went and sold the duck boat.

I"ve seen alot of these geese you guys speak of near the treatment plant, crytal sugar and all that area, I shoot my bow over in that area, theres a target range, maybe you know the one I'm talking about.
i've always wondered if theres some place a guy could sit and catch em legally, Anyone need an extra gun with this year goose hunten?HEH!
thanks

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 08-07-2003).]