• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hours of sleep a night??

Scott K

I have always been one of those people that would be the last to bed and the first to get up no matter what I did. 5 to 6 hours a night was always more than enough sleep.

We have a white noise maker so the wife can sleep better over the noise of my snoring. The model is a Sleepmate. You can pretty much create what ever white noise you would like and it has 2 speeds. We bring it along when we sleep in any motels to cover the hallway noise.

try to get 6-8 hours, depends on kids

always have ceiling fan on, i get hot quickly

play cd every night in stereo of waving crashing against the shore, very soothing & calming and helps tune out other stuff (& wife loves it cause reminds her of hawaii honeymoon)

i also use CPAP machine....dont think i could sleep without it now

I'll tell ya', and you guys probably already know this, but if I work my tail off doing physically difficult work I generally sleep better. Pushing pencils all day just doesn't make a person very tired. wink

This is what got me to sleep years ago when I was going through a divorce. My mind was on overdrive and I wasn't sleeping for crud. I picked up a crappy old Bicycle and rode that thing until my legs were no more. I'd get home and go face down for 6-7 hours.

These days I try for 7-8 hrs. I found a good mattress, a good memory foam pillow, blinds that block out the light (there is more light at night in the city than you realize) a white noise machine (the dog snores like a grown man) and NO TV in the bedroom is my trick to good sleep. I'm also someone who can't do caffeine or sugar past lunch time.

Interesting thread. Sleep is a subject near and dear to my heart. I generally get 5 - 7 hrs. depending somewhat on what time of year it is and activity level. Living in the country has its perks. Dark at night and quiet are a couple of them. The best "white noise" for me is in the spring when the windows can be opened and the western chorus frogs are crankin' it up in the wetland below the house. To the fella who mentioned a menopausal wife: I feel your pain. When it's me, her and the dog it's a circus. TV blaring, her tossing and turning, the dog getting agitated. No fun. When she leaves and goes to the couch about 4 a.m. (probably because I'm snoring), then I get quality sleep. At least the dog doesn't sweat or yank on the blankets! grin

Exercise impacts the hours I sleep as well as ease of falling asleep. Work gets more physical during the spring, summer and fall while winter tends to be more of a slack time. Finding the motivation to get additional exercise has become more of an issue as I've moved into my 50's. The old adage of working smarter not harder comes into play more and more it seems. When I was in my 30's, it was no big deal to pitch 8 - 10 loads of manure out a day on a weekend. I can do about the same now even with a bigger spreader but it's sure a lot easier with a skid loader. smile Still tuckers me out only without the cardiovascular benefit. Hence the need to be more careful about what and how much I eat. frown