• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish house frame from Miltona Blacksmith

fishingman80

Your tongue has to be a certain lenth anyway might as well make it a v. I did a flat front for my first shack and it was a bear in the wind. I did the v on the second and now i have great storage and bathroom that I woundn't have with a flat front.

Also my second frame was from miltona blacksmith. Great price and great people. The only thing I would do is beef up the tongue size a little. If i did it again I would do something like 2x4 for tongue and all the perimeter. 2 x 2 for cross members. That way when you lower the house its not sitting on all the slush from drilling and the outside is sealed from wind. Only the outside frame is resting on ice.

I got 16 x 8 plus 3 ft v. So total of 19. Its a single axle w/ bigger spindles and wheels for weight. Pulls great.

Frame all exterior walls first. Cut down 2 x 6 to 2.5 on ends for slope in roof. For v in front you will have short 2x6 perpendicular to rest of rafters in middle with two separate triangle sheets for roof.

Hope that helps.

Then frame interior walls after spray foam (Highly Recommend for drafts and strength.

Don't forget to spray foam underneath covering every bit of metal for protection from rust.

I also would coat interior with bedliner or rubber mat so your floor last for years to come.

Just some thoughts for longevity.

I also removed hand cranks and went to northern tool and bought two electric winches. Holy cow that thing was froze down in mille lacs and it easily came up with no broken knuckles from hand cranks. Best thing I ever did. Plus makes it harder for some to steal. I have a plug in remote that I take with me. Not very expensive upgrade. I can't believe how great it works.

On the crank down house installed anti reverse wenches. It's been so many years ago don't recall where they were purchased but $65 each if memory serves correct. With this style winch you could stop at any time and the wench held without hitting any levers or stops. It made raising and lowering so much easier and safer.

BTW,

The wheel house is 6.5x12ft and works great for two fisherman.

i have decided to get a 6'6"x8' fish house frame from miltona blacksmith. i came across a 6'6"x8' steel fish house frame with all the walls and the roof steel studs all i have to do if i get it is to get it welded to the fish house wheel frame. if that is a good way to go please let me know. i am going to quote treated wood materials and see what that place wants for that steel fish house frame. any input on wood framing vs. steel framing will be very helpful to me.

i just got back home from miltona blacksmith. i am getting my fish house frame from him. his price for the size i am looking for is the cheapest in my area and they are build very well. hoping to get it this spring or summer and build my fish house on top of it and have it ready for ice fishing next year.

i am not 100% sure how many coats they put on the frames they sell. i have heard alot of people putting plywood for the floor then putting rhino lining on the entire frame and the top and bottom of the floor plywood makes it 100% rust and rot proof.

I own a 2006 6.5'x 14' V front Miltona Blacksmith frame fishhouse. I bought the shack used. Frame is very strong and heavy duty. No issues.

I added rubberized spray undercoating onto the frame to protect it as much as I could and that really helps. There is minimal rust. If I had the frame without the structure I would definitely look into the best coating over the entire frame first.