• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some help....not seeing fish

bowhunt

Hey everyone,

I have not been doing well spearing this year, ever since I left the GTG. I have been out 10+ times and have only seen two spearable fish. I have been spearing in the 8 to 11 foot range, and have tried 6 new lakes. I just can't seem to find the fish this winter. I am thinking about going out again tomorrow morning, and was looking for some advice. Anyone have a suggestion of a lake around the west metro that I would have a good change of seeing some pike. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to make it public. Or if you know of a certain type of structure that the pike are using this time of year that I can look for on the lake maps.

I really appreciate any help, just looking for a few pike to eat.

Bowhunt

Well my luck turned around this morning. Only saw one fish but that was all it took to make my day. She came in once and all I could see was her head in the hole but I could tell it was a big fish. As soon as I picked up the spear she came unglued and was out of there. 30 to 45 min. later she came back in on a mission to eat my sucker, and she did. Had the hole thing in her mouth when she spun around in the hole and gave me a nice shot right behind the head. She measured 36 1/4", I guess patience pays off.

IMG_0102_zps1c397fa6.jpg

IMG_0106_zps5ed0af32.jpg

Bowhunt

Great fish Bowhunt. Not trying to be controversial but that fish is why some people don't like slot limits. That would be a legal fish on a slot lake but you wouldn't dare spear it because you just can't tell until you measure. That is the reason I quit spearing slot lakes. I passed up fish that I was pretty sure were legal.

Bowhunt, I see the spearing slow down each year mid to late Jan. Then it picks up again in Feb. I went through a dry spell and wasn't seeing much the last two weeks. I speared a nice one the other day and am seeing others spearing picking up now too! Try ro find an area that is in 9 ft. with a deep hole or deeper area as close as you can to your set up! ><B>

cold spell and wind make the clarity decrease and when ice temps drop really fast causing some fish to stop all together. I do agree the late season will be better as we get a little warmer temps and longer days of sun which should increase fish movement and feeding activity.

MR

Hey everyone,

I have not been doing well spearing this year, ever since I left the GTG. I have been out 10+ times and have only seen two spearable fish. I have been spearing in the 8 to 11 foot range, and have tried 6 new lakes. I just can't seem to find the fish this winter. I am thinking about going out again tomorrow morning, and was looking for some advice. Anyone have a suggestion of a lake around the west metro that I would have a good change of seeing some pike. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to make it public. Or if you know of a certain type of structure that the pike are using this time of year that I can look for on the lake maps.

I really appreciate any help, just looking for a few pike to eat.

Bowhunt

About the worst thing you can do to try to consistantly find fish is to consistently fish different lakes. Start with a lake with good populations of northerns and stay on it until you can start to make some sense of it. 2c