• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip ups for Dummies

FirstIce

Unless your on known water for big fish loose the quick strike rig use regular hooks. Use the little bobbers so you can reset your depth easy after a fish is caught. I use the vexilar to set my depth that is the easiest. Use tip up line then a swivel to whatever line you use. Good luck.

First of all, have fun! I like to use a live sucker, the biggest one you can find short of a spearing decoy and put it on a quickstrike rig. I use the black tip up line and then tie the end to a swivel and then the other end of the swivel to heavy mono and my rig. For my rigs, I make my own using heavy mono. But I've used leaders too and havent noticed too much of a difference. I like to run my tip-ups not far under the ice in shallower bays and then just experiment with depths in deeper waters. Remember you can use those for walleyes or any other fish too with lighter presentations. Just do some searches on the Internet to learn more. Good luck.

Have one rigged for pike and the other for walleye. I think of them like rod n reel combos and each had their different presentation for the targeted species.

The pike one would have heavier tipup line, swivel, lead weight and metal leader with whatever you want for the hook. I do like those Gem N Eyes in pink or green. (thinking nice size suckers or XXL shiner minners)

Then for walter use lighter line, swivel, weight and then I'll go 4-8lb test Floro and whatever for the hook. (Fathead minnow, small sucker, shiner minner)

That's my 2c

PS - have jaw spreaders and real long needle nose pliers just in case.

So do i put the weight right above the steel leader? I'm thinking tip up line, then swivel, then a little mono, then leader?

With a weight and a bigger minnow, don't you find it's to much weight and it trips the flag? Same with a sucker minnow thats too big and trips the flag?

When I pull straight down on my line, it seems like it doesn't take much tension to set it off

The beaver dams have a light and a heavy side on the shaft that trips the flag. Use the heavy side for bigger minnows. You will still get a few minnow trips, just the nature of the beast. I run braided dacron all the way to the swivel, and I do use a quickstrike rig. I don't fish walleyes with tip ups but that's just me. Splitshot goes about 18 inches above the bait. I do use a steel leader for pike. Good luck, enjoy. There is an art to know when to set the hook on a running fish.

Per Walleyes, or a multi-species rig, I have been tying a very tiny glow jig with a red hook onto the end of three feet or so of 6 lb line tipped with a shiner. Again, the line and rig is tied to a swivel and the other end of the swivel to the main spool of black tip up line. I caught a 24 inch pike on it today and two smaller walleyes. So I would have fun and try some different rigs versus just using a quickstrike rig too.

Pike Rig.

Dacron line to swivel. Buy some quality Fluorocarbon line like Seaguar or Offshore (20#,30#,etc). Run Fluoro leader (18" or more) down to a #6 treble. Since we live in a nanny state, dress it up (2 beads, small blade).

Well, thanks for that update, Sandpoint. Funny, as I was checked yesterday by the DNR on Minnetonka. I offered to pull up my tip-up for a check, and he said 'don't worry about it'. He and his partner had said it was nothing but slow all around the lake.

Taken from 2012-2013 DNR regs...

*Was updated for this year.

Hooks, Lures and Tackle Configurations

Single Tackle Configuration. Anglers may use up to three single or multiplepronged (example - treble) hooks on a line used as a single tackle configuration

attached to the end of a fishing line (Examples – crawler harness, quick-strike

rig. See pictures on page 63). Note: a single tackle configuration cannot be

used on designated trout streams and lakes.

- The total length of the single tackle configuration from the first hook to the

last hook must be nine inches or less.

- Anglers may use live, artificial, preserved, or dead bait that is lawful to use

(see page 12).

- This single tackle configuration is not considered an artificial fly or lure/

bait, and no additional hooks may be used. Adding a bead, blade, or

spinner does not make it into an artificial lure/bait.

• Artificial Lure/Bait. A single artificial lure/bait may contain more than one

hook (Example - a crankbait).

- An angler may have one additional single or multiple hook on a line as

part of the artificial lure/bait as long as it is within three inches of the

artificial lure/bait (Example - a stinger hook (often a treble hook) can be

trailed behind a jig).

- Note: An extra single or multiple hook is not allowed on artificial lures/

baits used on designated trout streams and lakes.

• Artificial Fly. Three artificial flies may be used when angling for trout,

crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

• Designated Trout Streams and Lakes. Other than 3 artificial flies or a

single artificial lure/bait, a tackle configuration with more than one single

hook is not allowed on designated trout streams and lakes. Note: See special