• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bite isn't that great...

DTro

I'm sure not many 69 years olds WANT to do that but hey- if you are physically able to ice fish, you cetrainly can work your way out of a 'limited income' status or whatever that means.

So you're saying he can work his way into an unlimited income status? Where do I sign up? wink

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don't view one guy by himself catching and keeping 150 fish in his freezer any different than one guy doing the same but living with a big family that makes his over the limit "legal." It's the same deal as where one guy is "party hunting" for deer and decides to shoot five bucks for himself, mother, wife, grandpa and grandma. It's pretty much going against the whole idea of a bag limit. And in fishing, it's pretty much going against the idea of a possession limit. Now if everyone in that family is regularly fishing, that's a little different. But that's often not the case. Not trying to get too worked up about this. Just saying, it's easy to jump down this guys throat when many people are "legally" fishing over the limit.

"When" or "if" someone decides to eat their legally harvested catch is no one’s business but their own. The way some people assume that a person's stored fish was all harvested on a single day seems bizarre to me. I'm not arguing what the law is and I'm sure there's more than enough little Eichmann’s out there with binoculars and the TIP line on speed dial just waiting to snitch on their next door neighbor for having 9 walleye in his freezer but I really doubt most of these fish hoarders are exceeding their daily limits.

DTRO- can I ask where you found this law? I have a friend that loves to fish(sometimes everyday in fact) he does a lot of catch and release as well as keeping some for him and his wife. He also gives fish away to friends or elderly that can't get out to fish. The DNR recently met him on the lake and said (we have probable cause that you are over the limit and need to go to your residence to find the rest. Three officers went and searched his house(without a warrant) and found nothing except a few carcases from the day before.To me probable cause means they witnessed you putting a large sum of fish in a bucket,etc. and know you are over the limit. If you go to your fishhouse everyday, does this mean you are automatically under probable cause that you are over limits? I like to go to the fish house just to get away, listen to the radio, watch football. I sometimes don't even wet a line. Right now I view the DNR just like a terrorist. We abide by all their laws and they still belittle you like your a criminal. Sorry for the rant, but I could not keep this in any longer.

Ok a few points:

"29.931(1) (1) Seizure and confiscation of wild animals or plants. The department and its wardens shall seize and confiscate any wild animal, carcass or plant caught, killed, taken, had in possession or under control, sold or transported in violation of any of the laws for which the department and its wardens have enforcement authority under s. 29.921. The officer also may, with or without warrant, open, enter and examine all buildings, camps, boats on inland or outlying waters, vehicles, valises, packages and other places where the officer has probable cause to believe that wild animals, carcasses or plants that are taken or held in violation

They cannot just enter your residence without a search warrant that is granted by a judge that determines if there is probably cause.

Hopefully at that point of questioning, the CO had done his due diligence and the search warrant was just a formality. Had the guy refused, the CO probably had a solid case already anyways.

As far as purchased fish. If you are in the position of possibly having too many fish in your possession, you just keep the receipt, or keep the original packaging. Its very simple.

I have no problem with a family of 8 people having a full limit in their freezer. That is the whole point of having a limit. Technically there is no difference in one guy having 150 in his freezer or a family of 8 having 150 in the freezer (other than the legality part). But has anyone tried to feed 8 mouths? I can assure you that fish won't last long in that freezer.

"When" or "if" someone decides to eat their legally harvested catch is no one’s business but their own. The way some people assume that a person's stored fish was all harvested on a single day seems bizarre to me. I'm not arguing what the law is and I'm sure there's more than enough little Eichmann’s out there with binoculars and the TIP line on speed dial just waiting to snitch on their next door neighbor for having 9 walleye in his freezer but I really doubt most of these fish hoarders are exceeding their daily limits.
you obviously don't understand daily and possession limit. In mn they are the same. So if he caught half limit of fish over the course of two days or a limit in one he is still only entitled to keeping the one limit.

Come on man, your just looking for a fight. First if you buy fish from a store your not going to unwrap it from the packaging and put it in a baggie or ice block. Also the burden of proof is on you, just as in deer hunting, you better keep your lisc on hand if you have venison in freezer, or the number of the guys lisc that gave it to you. So yes if your truely worried about your stock of caught fish and your stock of bought fish, might as well keep reciept. And on his two year supply of all his fish kept, highly unlikely thats what it would be and you know the answer, possesion is your limit, period. Or pay the piper. DNR doesn't care a bout your opinion and niether do most law abiding outdoorsman.

I wasn't just looking for a fight. I was just poking holes in this awful law that you seem so intent on adhering to and it really seems to irk you that someone should challenge the notion of "the law is the law". If a Mpls cop had that mentality and was wasting department time by searching elderly people’s homes for trivial contraband he would find himself out of a job pretty quickly. Why should I have to run the risk of my home being ransacked by the government using one of their rubber stamped search warrants just because I want to spend a sunny day out on the lake in my boat or have my neighbors over for a fish fry? I don't think it's such an anti-social opinion that people abiding by daily limit laws should be able to eat any of their catches in their own homes when they see fit without fear.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days since this I first read this thread. I do at times freeze a few fish, some days (okay, more than I choose to admit) I go out and only catch a couple, which is not enough for a meal for my family, so there are times that I am probably close to exceeding my personal possesion limit, although I guess I could get by with arguing that as a couple of my daughters do at times fish with me and contribute to what's in the freezer, although the truth is I have put most of them in there.

It does bug me a little bit that if I am out on the lake and have contact with a CO, I could have him ask me a few questions and decide that he's going to follow me home to search my freezer. I'm sure I'll never be over what the possesion limit is for my daughters and I, but it still seems like an intrusion, unless they've observed me appearing to haul a bunch of fish homes on multiple occassions, which just doesn't happen.

I wasn't just looking for a fight. I was just poking holes in this awful law that you seem so intent on adhering to and it really seems to irk you that someone should challenge the notion of "the law is the law". If a Mpls cop had that mentality and was wasting department time by searching elderly people’s homes for trivial contraband he would find himself out of a job pretty quickly. Why should I have to run the risk of my home being ransacked by the government using one of their rubber stamped search warrants just because I want to spend a sunny day out on the lake in my boat or have my neighbors over for a fish fry? I don't think it's such an anti-social opinion that people abiding by daily limit laws should be able to eat any of their catches in their own homes when they see fit without fear.
ransacking or inviting someone in or probable cause. Three completely different scenarios and the holes you are poking are only in your own argument or terrible justification of what this individual did.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days since this I first read this thread. I do at times freeze a few fish, some days (okay, more than I choose to admit) I go out and only catch a couple, which is not enough for a meal for my family, so there are times that I am probably close to exceeding my personal possesion limit, although I guess I could get by with arguing that as a couple of my daughters do at times fish with me and contribute to what's in the freezer, although the truth is I have put most of them in there.

It does bug me a little bit that if I am out on the lake and have contact with a CO, I could have him ask me a few questions and decide that he's going to follow me home to search my freezer. I'm sure I'll never be over what the possesion limit is for my daughters and I, but it still seems like an intrusion, unless they've observed me appearing to haul a bunch of fish homes on multiple occassions, which just doesn't happen.

provided you are at or below the possession limit for all license holders or minors in your household you would have nothing to worry about provided you never exceed a daily limit for those fishing on any given day. If you fish alone only a limit for yourself.

If a CO wants to enter your house without a warrant, you have the right to deny him access. If one asks you to enter...absolutely tell him/her NO...whether you've got something to hide, or not.

If they begin to ask you things, or make statements that may lead you into a trap...stop talking, you do not have to answer their questions unless they place you under arrest and you have legal representation present.

CO's are not your friend. Inviting one onto your house/garage/truck/freezer,etc...will NEVER benefit you in any way. They are well known for abusing civil rights, and breaking the law to catch/entrap potential law breakers. Stories like this old man amaze me...why would anyone ever invite a CO into his house. Sad.

Goo, I know alot of guys that have the same thoughts about C/O's that you do. I respect that, It's your opinion. I have let wardens into my fishhouse every time they have asked. They've checked my boat for safety equip. and PFDs. Never ran into one that came across as a stormtrooper. A few years back I had a ticket coming for expired license on my ATV. My fault, no excuses. Got a verbal reminder and a good luck fishing from him. Just like MOST traffic cops, you treat them with respect, you get the same thing back.

I would invite them into my house any day of the week. I have nothing to hide so why wouldn't I let them? Some people think that the evil empire is out to get them. Get those tinfoil hats out cause they are reading your mind just as you read these. The guy was breaking the law and got busted. Simple as that quit making excuses for him and others. Excuses and finger pointing is what is wrong with this country. Sorry for the rant but show responsibility for your actions and we would all be better off.

I would invite them into my house any day of the week. I have nothing to hide so why wouldn't I let them? Some people think that the evil empire is out to get them. Get those tinfoil hats out cause they are reading your mind just as you read these. The guy was breaking the law and got busted. Simple as that quit making excuses for him and others. Excuses and finger pointing is what is wrong with this country. Sorry for the rant but show responsibility for your actions and we would all be better off.
+10!

Goo you're missing the whole point. The guy invited him to his house. So are you saying the big bad co had it out for him? Come on! Some people are so ridiculous.

Maybe daily limits should be set on the number of fish you think is the best for you? 100 gills? They are just gills, right? Walleyes get stocked into lakes why not just fish them all out because you want a fish fry?

Sounds like you may need your freezer searched they way you are going on about it?

Really if you want fish then buy it. It will likely be cheaper than fishing for it for most people. I fish for the enjoyment and have kept a legal limit less than a dozen times in my life. I wish limits were less liberal for specific lakes. Not all lakes are created equal.

Goo, I know alot of guys that have the same thoughts about C/O's that you do. I respect that, It's your opinion. I have let wardens into my fishhouse every time they have asked. They've checked my boat for safety equip. and PFDs. Never ran into one that came across as a stormtrooper. A few years back I had a ticket coming for expired license on my ATV. My fault, no excuses. Got a verbal reminder and a good luck fishing from him. Just like MOST traffic cops, you treat them with respect, you get the same thing back.

I agree 100%. I'm the same way.

They will however, abuse rules they are expected to follow, just as the old guy with 200 sunfish.

The fact the old man invited the CO to his house, tells me he was lacking a clear mind...or very,very ignorant. Either way, he'd be better off had he not sang like a bird.

Generally people like CO's. Most are decent, and will treat you fair. But, there's is absolutely no reason to give them anything more than they legally require. All CO's deem you guilty of something...if they didn't, they'd never check you unless there was an obvious violation. They are not, and never will be your "pal.

I've about had my possession limit of hippy shenanigans in this thread. The guy got popped for having too many fish. Whoops, his bad. Ignorance is never excusable.

Who wants to join James_R in his drum circle at the next "Occupy DNR" protest?

I would invite them into my house any day of the week. I have nothing to hide so why wouldn't I let them?

It seems like this statement and possibly similar ones imply an admission of guilt, simply by exercising your right to refuse entry to a CO. I won't pretend to be well versed when it comes to the law in this area, but if I tell a CO or other law enforcement to "get a warrant", it might simply mean that I don't want to deal with you right now, or "if you think I'm guilty...prove it". If they're just looking to abuse their power and hassle you, that'll probably be the last you hear from them. CO and law enforcement in general are just like everyone else...some good ones and some really crummy ones. I'm all for showing a great deal of respect and appreciation to CO's, but not if they neglect to show a bit of respect on their side.

Just because I'm not bizarrely advocating 30 years in jail for someone with fish fillets in his freezer doesn't make me an anarchist.

It's only January 26th but that may very well be the quote of the year.

grin

I'm sure there's more than enough little Eichmann’s out there with binoculars and the TIP line on speed dial just waiting to snitch on their next door neighbor

I haven't been following this thread with all that much interest, but did someone just refer to people who call TIP as being the equivalent of a Nazi fellow who organized the deportation of the Jews?

Really?!?

Keep it classy, James.