• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Harvey I Believe you have 2 bills mixed up.This is Senate bill 2231.Senate committees do not have 12 members on them.6 I think is the right number.

SB 2231 - Introduced by Sen's Laffen, Burckhard, Murphy; Rep's Kreun, Porter, Ruby. Would increase the price of a resident small game license from $6 to $15, nonresident small game hunting license from $85 to $100, resident big game hunting license from $20 to $30, youth big game hunting license from $10 to $11, nonresident big game hunting license from $200 to $250, nonresident bow hunting license from $200 to $220, resident furbearer license from $7 to $15, resident fishing license from $10 to $16, resident age 65 and older or permanently disabled fishing license from $3 to $5, nonresident fishing license from $35 to $45, resident husband and wife fishing license from $14 to $22, resident wild turkey license from $8 to $12, motorboat under 16 feet in length and all canoes from $12 to $18, motorboats from 16 feet to less than 20 feet in length from $24 to $36, motorboats at least 20 feet in lenth from $33 to $45, resident paddlefish tag from $3 to $10, nonresident paddlefish tag from $7 to $25, nonresident waterfowl hunting license from $85 to $100, nonresident husband and wife fishing license from $45 to $60, nonresident three-day fishing license from $15 to $20, nonresident furbearer and nongame license from $25 to $30, combination license from $32 to $40, resident swan license from $5 to $15, nonresident swan license from $25 to $30, crane license from $5 to $10, nonresident 10-day fishing license from $25 to $30, habitat restoration stamp required for the general game license from $10 to $17 and $8 (instead of $5) of each habitat stamp sold would be placed in the Game and Fish Department's private land habitat and access improvement fund, and a resident application fee for moose, elk and sheep from $3 to $5. In addition, would eliminate the nonresident seven-day fishing license for $20. Referred to Senate Natural Resources Committee.

This is the one I think you are looking at.It is HB1130.House committees have 12 members.So the 12-0 vote you mentioned is the House Natural Resources Committee.It still has to be voted on by the whole House.The increases aren't as high in the House bill.I look for both to pass each chamber and then to be reconciled in conference committees.Plus the House bill has no fishing license increases.

HB 1130 - Introduced by Rep's Porter, Damschen, Hofstad; Sen's Burckhard, Carlisle, Lyson. Would increase the fee of a resident small game hunting license from $6 to $10, a nonresident small game hunting license from $85 to $94, resident big game hunting license from $20 to $25, a youth big game hunting license from $10 to $11, nonresident big game hunting license from $200 to $220, resident furbearer license from $7 to $10, resident wild turkey license from $8 to $10, nonresident waterfowl hunting license from $85 to $94, nonresident furbearer and nongame hunting license from $25 to $28, resident combination license from $32 to $38, nonresident swan license from $25 to $28, and a resident application fee for moose, elk and sheep from $3 to $5. In addition, the habitat restoration stamp required for the general game license would increase from $10 to $17, and $8 (instead of $5) of each habitat stamp sold would be placed in the Game and Fish Department's private land habitat and access improvement fund. House Energy and Natural Resources Committee heard 1/18.

My bad, you are correct.

I grew up in ND and don't know anyone who bothers traveling to MN just to fish. Why would they want to deal with the ridiculous regulations and substandard fishing when there is much better fishing right out their back door without the constant harassment?

Sure, you may get some of the folks on the far eastern edge of ND, but as far as the rest of the state is concerned I don't see much reason to head east into MN unless on a family vacation and you're looking for a resort style atmosphere which ND really doesn't have that much of.

If MN jacked up their fishing fees I don't think many would give a rip quite honestly.

Ten years ago I'd have thought LMITOUT was completely insane for saying what he said above. Although I'm not 100% in agreement with all that he said, I know now that he's definitely not totally off base. I don't think too many MN residents realize how good fishing is in much of ND, and there's a whole lot more to fishing ND than simply going to Devil's Lake! There are a ton of great fishing opportunites in ND and there really is some excellent fishing to be had. Walleye, perch, and pike fishing is excellent and crappie fishing is very good in some locations.

There are two pieces to LMITOUT comments that I don't agree with: 1) LMIT, you make it sound like there are a couple dozen people in Eastern ND who fish MN regularly. There are literally thousands of ND residents who fish MN on a very regular basis. Tons of people in the GF area have places out around Union, Maple, and Sarah Lakes and many more go out further to the Bemidji area. Further North of that many around Drayton and Pembina go East to fish, often at Lake of the Woods. Around Fargo there are a boatload of people who have places on lakes to the East. Wahp residents go East on a regular basis too. Besides those who have cabins to the East there are a lot of people who don't own property or a cabin, but go into MN just to fish. The reasons for this are many, but one of the big ones has to do with a big limitations ND has compared to MN- diversity of fishing opportunities. ND has lots and lots of options besides just walleye, perch, and pike. However, the most popular options after those three aren't nearly as commonly available in ND. Smallmouth, Largemouth, and muskie fishing draws an awful lof of ND residents into MN to fish. While there are opportunities at all three species in ND, they are much fewer and much further between.

LMITOUT's last comment about not many people giving a rip if MN got nasty towards ND- I definitely don't agree with that at all. People out in Bismarck and futher West likely wouldn't care a great deal, but there are an awful lot of people who'd be very unhappy about it. If that were to happen, I'd predict the Ping match between MN and ND would escalate and get ugly with regard to all this stuff.

All that being said, LMIT's totally right about the fishing in ND- it's awesome! Walleye fishings is dynamite! If you're into pike fishing, I challenge you to find pike fishing in MN anywhere near Fargo that's even close to as good as what you can find nearby in ND. Same goes for perch.

There are lakes in the DL area that have a huge percentage of lake home owners from ND. A very high percentage. A friend of mine from Fargo is on one lake and I would guess that lake is 80-90 percent ND residents.

Thats just one lake.

and they pay dearly already on property taxes which helps keep lake county schools in the black.

and they pay dearly already on property taxes which helps keep lake county schools in the black.

Property taxes have what to do with the subject? Unless theres a non resident rate that is much higher i dont see your point

Well based on 2012 estimates and 2010 Census data 23% of ND's population lives in Cass County. Add in all the eastern counties along the Red River and you are up to 38% of the ND population.

38% sounds like a minority to me.

Like I said before, those in the RRV may complain but the rest of the state couldn't give a rip what MN does with their fishing regs.

12% less than half the people in the state and you want to get ride of them as they do not agree with you Lmit.

Me and the other 62% of the state. You guys sure have a tough time with understanding "majorities".

At least Minnesota would finally have a winning college FB team... wink

College football- I think that's about the only thing on this earth LMIT and I will ever agree on...

LMIT- how is it you think your opinion represents everyone in ND outside of the Red River Valley? Seriously, not everyone outside of the RRV hates the Valley and wishes its cities and people would leave the state. Maybe, just maybe, your opinion isn't held unanimously be everyone else. You may not believe this, but I know a lot of people who live West of the Valley who like me, my family, and a lot of my friends who live in the Valley. Imagine that- people who live in Fargo who aren't dispicable, terrible people.

Also, simply because 38% is not a majority, you conclude that it's insignificant? How does that make any sense? You may not like that 38%, but it's still a large percentage of the state.

I already mentioned I live in West Fargo, LMIT, where do you live?

Maybe, just maybe, your opinion isn't held unanimously be everyone else.

Unanimously or the majority? Don't twist my words.

Seriously, this is ridiculous.

I've already said that I'm sure most ND's wouldn't care if MN raised their non-resident license fees. Not sure why that is difficult to comprehend, other that the fact that you are in that RRV minority who may care...which I also stated.

The fact of the matter is that MN needs ND more than ND needs MN and they know it. The problem I have is their whining and complaining about how ND is managing its resources after they've ruined their own which is why they now have to travel west to experience decent fishing and hunting... and a lot of that flawed mentality is coming from the RRV as well.

MN is not a model that ND should be following yet I hear more of that sort of "thinking" creeping in. After living on both sides of the "fence", or Berlin Wall as I like to call it, it is absolutely frightening what I see happening to my home state. So far they've been pretty good at beating it back with a stick, but that entitlement attitude which is so prevalent in MN will finally get a hold in ND and then it's over.

I wasn't trying to twist your words- I wasn't confusing "majority" and "uninamiously". I was simply saying you speak as if you uniformly speak on behalf of all of the RRV (not be be confused with the majority of the state that lives outside of the RRV).

It's interesting, LMIT and I was wrong earlier- we agree on a lot of things. I couldn't agree more with regarding to ND being a far better model in lots of regards.

It's the dislike and bitterness for fellow North Dakotans that I take issue with. You refer to the Berlin wall between MN and ND, and I agree, there are clear political and social differences between the states and I'd also like to see them stay different. The problem, IMO, is that it's not helpful in any to ND to make comments that help to encourage another wall within the state- one that seperates those in the RRV from those not. Can't we just all get along...? LOL

I don't see anything productive coming out of further replying to this thread, so I'm going to drop it at that.

Long and short of this whole things is fees are going up for everyone. It is the cost for fun. Do ND view Non Residents as bad. Some do but I have had some heated run ins with fellow North Dakotas as well. I myself love the opportunties in both states to hunt and fish and do both. Devils Lake is a great fishery for sure but I hate fishing there. I've spent too much of my time working there to want to spend vaction there. I still frequent Lake Of The Woods often. Just paid 100 buck for a 3 years shelter tag for my fish house a week ago. If you want to play you got to pay.

The fact of the matter is that MN needs ND more than ND needs MN and they know it.

For what ? Hunting ? Well if 12,000 Minnesotans hunt in ND that is not even 0.5% of the population of Minnesota. Even on the basis of total hunters, possibly 18% of MN hunters actually cross the Red. Thus relatively few actually care.

ND needs MN for advanced health care and apparently now needs them for fracking sand.

Then how about jobs ... still plenty of ND kids moving to Minnesota for jobs .. that is if they finish college.

More North Dakotans attend the Vikings or other pro sports teamsn than Minnesotans hunting in ND.

Both sides need each other.

For what ? Hunting ? Well if 12,000 Minnesotans hunt in ND that is not even 0.5% of the population of Minnesota. Even on the basis of total hunters, possibly 18% of MN hunters actually cross the Red. Thus relatively few actually care.