• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What happens when a vehicles sits too long...

I just found out I will be getting my 2001 F-150 back. It was impounded back in october of 2008 and am curious what I will be walking into. At the time the truck ran fine but I'm sure after all this time im sure it's going to have issues. So what should I be prepared for...

-Battery is probably dead

-How does Gas/Oil respond to sitting for years

-Im sure the tires air pressure needs to be adjusted

-Also I do not have a key, I assume I can get one from a dealership with the VIN#

-Anything else you guys can think of?

*I should mention that at this point I do not know if it was stored indoors or outdoors, i'm preparing for the worst

I'll second the rusted brakes.

The gas is likely bad, accessory pulleys are probably rusted, and the tires are for sure flat spotted from sitting.

I'll ask, why has your truck been in impound for 5 years? What are the fees?

Storage fees are only $122 that's the only reason I'm bothering with it...It's a long story.

I guess I'll have to tow it home. I had thought with any luck I might be able to drive it home. Hoping if I put some money into it it'll be worth selling

FYI - I had an old RV, that sat in yard for years, probably 4 without starting it. New battery and it started on old gas! some squeaks, but it ran. Breaks were "touchy" haha! They eventually froze up on the guy who bought it, but I told him they probably would, and he expected it. Tires were actually flat spots, but still held air and he coudl drive them home.

Good luck.

A dealership can get you a new key cut. Better yet if you bought it from a local dealer it will be easier to go to that dealer to get the key cut. Be sure you have proof of ownership.

Also, If you do not have any keys for the truck you will need 2 keys cut and you will have to pay the dealership to program those two keys to the truck. no way around this with the trucks P.A.T.S. anti-theft, You can open the doors with this key, but you wont be able to start it.

Might make sense to get it out of the impound lot by having it towed someplace and then go from there. You got a break on the storage fees but that won't last forever. Check with a locksmith on the key thing. I have had good luck at White Bear Locksmith.

DWI that was on hold because of the intoxilyzer stuff?

If you have the option, I'd go there with a new battery and try starting it at the impound lot. If you don't have to drive it too far it'll be a good first test. Otherwise, definitely tow it.

He does not have keys to the truck. The keys are a PATS key, which is an anti theft style key, if the key is not programed, your not starting or cranking your truck.

Good chance the fuel pump will die in the next few months also. It has something to do with debris that forms and ends up wrecking the fuel pump. It may go slow but good chance. Mine sat for 1 year and I had a few issues that annoyed me. AC is another that will go bad. Not just not having AC but the pulley locking up. I have the same year with a 5.4 and I put 10 grand into it in the last 3 years.

Well finally got the vehicle in my possession. The front tires are flat and wont hold air. The battery is also shot. But the one problem that I wasn't expecting is that I cannot get the hood open. The latch in the vehicle feels seized, and I've been trying to hit the safety latch through the grill with no luck. Anybody have suggestions on how the heck im going to get this hook open so I can throw a battery in and see were I stand?

PS: I do have the keys not, and the title will be in the mail within a month. I need to get this truck fixed up and sold asap!

Storage fees are only $122 that's the only reason I'm bothering with it...It's a long story.

I sold an old honda for $100 to a friend a few years ago. Of course he fails to actually transfer the title so it's still in my name. Long story short, car gets impounded, and I got a bill from an impound lot in some city I've never been for $6500.

I just said, "Yeah, you can go ahead and keep the car."