• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about pickling pike

I recently tried pickling some northern for the first time and realize I forgot a step I noticed in some other recipes I've seen online...I didnt freeze the fish for 72 hours before begining the process. I guess I just figured if it disenegrates the bones it would kill any parasites or worms or whatever else. Any thoughts on whether or not its safe to eat? The first batch is from Devils Lake and the other from Pelican by Buffalo. I was planning on giving a few jars to some buddies and don't want to give them a tapeworm..although a few of them could probably use it! Please help asap!

found this online

Caution: the broad fish tapeworm

The broad fish tapeworm infection can be contracted by humans from eating raw or undercooked species of fish found in the Great Lakes area.

Those who wish to prepare raw pickled fish should first freeze the fish at 0° F for 48 hours.

The larvae of the broad fish tapeworm pass through smaller fish until they lodge as hatched small worms in the flesh of large carnivorous species of fish, like northern pike, walleye pike, sand pike, burbot, and yellow perch. This worm, if eaten by humans in its infective stage, can attach to the small intestine and grow to lengths of 10 to 30 feet.

The infective worms are destroyed readily either by cooking or freezing. Two recent outbreaks of this tapeworm in Minnesota were related to eating uncooked pickled pike. Those who wish to prepare raw pickled fish should first freeze the fish at 0° F for 48 hours.

I did that too my first time pickling. Depending on how far you are into your process, you are probably going to be ok if you threw it into the freezer now. Better to be safe than sorry. Mine came out ok afterwards.

Thanks for the timely response guys. The first batch is already done and 1 jar has been eaten! The second batch is in day 1 in the jars(already has 2 days in salt water and a day in vinegar and is now in brine) Would it be fine just to freeze the finished product in the jars or will it destroy the flavor? The jars wont break if I freeze it will they?

Thanks for the timely response guys. The first batch is already done and 1 jar has been eaten! The second batch is in day 1 in the jars(already has 2 days in salt water and a day in vinegar and is now in brine) Would it be fine just to freeze the finished product in the jars or will it destroy the flavor? The jars wont break if I freeze it will they?

I'm not so sure about the jars breaking on you, but we used to freeze our finished sweet pickle every winter and thaw them before eating, they were fine. I know I am not comparing apples to apples, but I would imagine your pike to be fine.