• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MS Office 2013

The wife just sent me an email from her work that is offering a Pro version for 10$.

The email states that it hasn't been offered to the public yet but her company has an agreement with microsoft etc.

We just got a copy of 2010 last year for the reduced price.

Anybody have any inside information about the 2013 package? Any changes or enhancements?

Compatibility issues?

I am getting along with 2010 just fine, but if 2013 is not as big of resource hog that wouldn't be that bad.

Just looking for anyone that my know something about it to chime in.

Haven't seen it but we also have HUP with Microsoft at that pricing so I may check the HSOforum this afternoon.

I'm still on 2007 at home even though I have the 2010 version yet unused from the last time I bought under the program.

Dunno the details beyond working for a relatively large company that apparently buys enough Microsoft stuff to swing a deal for employee home use.

When I'm no longer an employee of the company I'm supposed to uninstall the software under the terms of the home use program. So, it's not really like I'm buying it...it's sort of like a long term, very low interest loan. smile

I do have the CDs/DVDs and fully valid license keys. I do not have to register it in any way other than the normal activation stuff. My older copies of 2003 and 2007 still work on older computers I have including some license transfers from one computer to another.

Did a little reading on it yesterday and seems to be OK.

They did say there was a small issue with installing it on a W7 machine because it downloads in an image and then has to be copied to a DVD or something.

That was the only bad thing they had to say.

Sounds like it is designed or at least leaning toward the W8 architecture for the touch screen interaction.

I suppose I've spent $10 in a lot worse ways...cant hurt to buy it and hold on to it for a while...

Not sure what 2013 downloads as in terms of file.

The Office 2010 download is/was a 1GB .exe file. Since I haven't used it yet, I don't know what the .exe does - if it's an installer of sorts or just extracts an ISO image that you'd have to burn to a DVD or whatever.

The 2010 did down load most of the program from what I could tell as it seemed to install from the PC after downloading the main exe file.

I just read the part about the image thing online from one of the top returns from google. It did say that you can order a DVD for an additional $15 some where...cant remember if it was in the email or on a HSOforum that i saw. The DVD should be the whole installer.

Well I got around to having the wife purchase a copy of this.

It is not like the 2010 version where when you down load it, you get the entire version on your hard drive. With the 2013, you download a small installer file and then the rest gets downloaded from the Microsoft site. I forgot to tell the wife to order the DVD version for an extra $15. Going to see if she can go back and order the DVD yet.

the 2013 version seems to cut a lot of the fluff and color out of the program to make it a little faster. It is basically a text looking program with a lot of the same stuff as 2010.