• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me find a Musky Rod/Reel!

Hey guys - I've been tagging along with a buddy for the past few years casting for 'skis using his gear. Figure it's time for me to take the plunge and get some gear of my own. I don't get out that often and am pretty new to musky fishing so I don't want to spend a ton getting outfitted. We mainly just cast big baits (double showgirls). He recommended a Daiwa Saltist. I have about $300 to spend - any suggestions on a good casting setup?

Personally I would dig around on this board or other "muskie" specific board and pick up something used rather then going new.

Rod - something in the 8'-9' Hvy

Saltist 20 can be found for 100.00 or so, personally I think your money would be better spent finding an Abu Revo Toro with the 5.4 gears.

I have a used St.Croix Premier Hvy 8' - that I wouldn't have a problem parting with if your interested PM me.

I second the finding 2nd hand equipment. Right now used 400 TE's are going for low $200's if you look around. You can also find plenty of good used rods for $100-200. I'm a big Curado 300 EJ guy as it'll do about 95% of what a guy needs in a package you can get on hsolist for 200-220 new.

I have to say that I wouldn't recommend a Saltist for anything short of trolling. Had one and it casted like junk. Flame away if you want, but it's the worst casting reel I've had this side of an ABU aka "Backlash Machine" in my boat. Spend the money on the EJ and you'll be lightyears ahead in your fishing fun.

I'll 2nd the Curado Ej - it's my favorite reel, like Shawn said take take care of almost everything you need, but they are spendy, between my 300 Ej and a Abu Revo Toro Winch I'm set for a day on the water. Another option would be one of the new Daiwa Lexa 300 reels, no first hand experience but have heard good thing and I will probably be adding one this winter.

The swap is a great place to find gear. I would wager taht you could pick up a decent combo for well within your price range. I actually bought the saltist that supposedly casts terribly from Shawn at the swap last year. I have no problems casting it, so to each their own...

If I had to choose tho, I would still use my Tranx.

2nd the Tackle Industry rods, every bit as good and reliable as my Loomis and Thorne Brothers Predator, for a reel depends on your gift card but hard to beat Shimano... Personaly I run 400B's, Trinidad, Curado and 3 Revo Toro 60's 2 in the discontinued 5:4 gearing 1 in the HS version at 6:3.... For general all around use I suggest something in the 5:1 or so gears.... I also suggest the swap after the Expo good deals can be had and a fun time...They also run combo specials at the Expo Reeds will be there and normaly run some fair show specials...

I'm on rod number 5, but only paid for 1. The gander Mt. guide series not that they are mega sturdy, but gander replaced them, there then was a 2 year warranty, mostly the cork on the handle was the issue, the one I brought in I thought they'd veto but no he said go pick a new one and away I went so 5 rods for $79.99 was a good deal and now my 5th rod I've had 4 years now and it's not had any issues, reel I'm sticking with my calcutta 400B, 5 years and maybe 40-50 muskies boated with that reel and it still sings like new, it easily powered around my 54.5" PB fish, good luck.

The swap is a great place to find gear. I would wager taht you could pick up a decent combo for well within your price range. I actually bought the saltist that supposedly casts terribly from Shawn at the swap last year. I have no problems casting it, so to each their own...

If I had to choose tho, I would still use my Tranx.

When you're used to TE's, Luna's, and Curado's it does...

St. Croix avid AC300 is a hell of a reel for the price. Same as the luna but cheaper because of the name. Very smooth reel and is very good with blades unless you plan on a lot of burning. You really can't go wrong with a shimano either, they are a gear company. You will get what you pay for as far as price goes.

Tackle Industry rods can not be beat on a budget. I run quite a few and am very impressed. Abu 6600 series reels are a good start but if you want something that will last forever I would seriously look at the Shimano Torium. I have 3 and have fished them hard, the oldest for 6 years now. I finally took the oldest one apart to clean it and replace the plastic spool bushing with a bearing and put a carbon drag in it. This reel is amazing and $180 anywhere you look. Economics are important and remember, if there was one answer to this question there would only be one product made. The greatest part about fishing is if you are having a good time you are doing it right. Find something that works for you and enjoy!

little too late since you already bought, but an ABU 700i with an Okuma 9'3 XH is a lot of bang for you buck. I have thrown a ton of D10 / Mag Dawg sized baits with this and it is a work horse.

I use mostly Revo's now but think i am going back to the 700 for the big bucks and Dawgs as it just worked good for that. Keep the Revo's for the cute stuff.