• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

At what age????

I know that its ones own personal opinion on at what age they should take their son or daughter out hunting with their own gun. But my first question is their a specific age they must be before they are legally allowed to carry a firearm with their legal guardian. My second question is at what age did you guys or gals bring your children along with you with their own firearm? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I know you have to be 12 to deer hunt, but as far as waterfowl or other game, as I read it as long as they are with a parent or guardian, they could be 1 day old...lol.

Yea, it's up to each parent/guardian to decide if their kids are mature enough to handle the responsibility. I think I was 8 when I got to go duck hunting for the first time with a single shot .410.

Good luck

Thanks,

I have just one more question what size gun does everybody recomend my son is going to be 11 in September. Weighs in at about 135 lbs

The age greatly depends on the child's actions and behavior. I started in a gun club at 5 years old and was hunting by the age of 6, bird hunting by 7 years old. By this same time I was shooting competitively and had a firearm in my hands every day of the week.

I started shooting high-power rifle match's at the age of 9. Shooting a .308 40-100 rounds per match, or 1000 rounds average a week in practice ... your son should be able to comfortably handle the recoil of any guage shotgun at 135 lbs as long as he is taught to shoot it in a proper position with a gun that fits him, from a stable shooting platform. I would get your son out shooting clays and see what seems comfortable to him. A magnum shell from a 20 guage has just as much kick as most 2 3/4" magnum 12 guage shells.

Well I have to agree with all the above posts.IMOP, it would depend on the childs maturety.My Daughter is going to be 8 this August, but I wouldn't give her a firearm to shot with out me being right behind her to make sure she didn't point it at some one.
She is just not mature enough yet to know what it is all about.
Now for me and my younger brother growing up in the Iron Range we were out in the woods by our selves by age 8.We started to handle firearms by age 5 and were shooting .22's ,30-30's, and 20ga. by age 6-1/2 .My familly did a lot of hunting, when I was old enough to go deer hunting dad gave me a .308.I ended up liking the Winchester 30-30 better for it's portability as I can't sit still for 5 minutes.My brother was and is the one who can sit in the stand from dark till dark never moving eccept to eat a sandwich.
So it is up to you to decide how the child will react when called apon to shot an animal.
I also think a lot of practice with any firearm he/she will use as well.You must be totally familiar with your firearm of choice to get a good clean shot.

Benny

I remember getting my first BB-Gun for Christmas, and my Dad setting up a little range for me in the basement. It was the highlight of my young life, and was where I learned my first lessons in gun safety (safety glasses and all!). Like Tom, I started out with a .410 single shot when I was 8.

I would recommend a 20 guage Remington pump in the youth model for your son. It is GREAT for a smaller-framed shooter, and can be used for years before graduating to a 12 guage. It makes a great upland choice, is light and swings easily.

Good Gunnin'

Duck-o-holic

As stated as above, agree to all.
I was shooting early in life, my daughters did quite a bit of range service and gun handling before the got the go signal from me to take a loaded weapon after game. In fact two years of waterfowl hunting and one year of deer hunting before they got to carry arms.
As far as age to go, it is kind of screwy.
If they are under the age of 12 they do not need firearm safety training and they can hunt smallgame and waterfowl, not big game. Once the age of 12 is reached, they must have FST to hunt.

Hope I am right, did call to verify once and this is the information I got.