• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

just wondering if anyone out there makes his/her own duck or goose calls?
i started turning a few a while back, but i have a few questions.
can you turn acrylic on a regular lathe, and at how many rpm's? where can you get the acrylic from? if anyone know's any suppliers of exotic hardwoods or acrylics, let me know!

Paul England out of Minnetonka makes some OUTSTANDING duck and goose calls. I've seen exotic wood on hsolist for making calls. You can also contact several call makers via email on hsolist after seeing pics of their calls.

Good Gunnin'

Duck-o-holic

myzee ...

Theres a place called Youngblood lumber in N.E. Minneapolis, they have all kinds of exotic hardwoods. They aslo sell exotics rough cut that will give a heck of a price break.

For the acrylics (sp?) there's a place just up the road (Central Ave) from youngblood called Cadillac Plastics that carries a huge assortment of various materials .. I would bet they would have what you want. If they dont have it I would recommend looking up companies that carry *blanks* for turning your own Pool Cue's.

When it comes to turning acrylics on a lathe, be very careful. I personally have not turned it, but I work with heavy acrylics (acrilyte) on occasion and it tends to be very *grabby* if not fastened properly and can tear you up. Try not to get it too heated and I would guess you would be ok.

I hope some of this info will help you.

I dont know what type of *exotics* your looking for exactly, or what thickness it has to be. I have some wood laying around that might fit your needs (spanish walnut, purple heart, birds eye maple, bloodwood, and possibly some zebra wood).