• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hubs in the wind?

SandPoint

Had my Clam Base Camp out today. 30+ mph sustained, 40-50mph gusts, had one side blow in because I used the original tie-downs, my own fault, as I was freezing my hands trying to re-tie, it dawned on me to use the bunjees I use to hold my gear on the sled as tie-downs! Wow I'm slow sometimes... I have 2 bunjees that once attatched can be cinched tight, replaced the 2 tie-downs outside with those and had one inside anchor on the opposite corner, house didn't move at all after that. The really big gusts the whole house would just shake like mad and I got goose bumps thinking about it flying across the lake but she was solid! With it as cold as it was the anchors held in very solid, they don't work as good with soft ice.

One thing that disappointed me though was all of the frost and moisture even though it's a thermal. Was the first time I had a fan in it too, one of Clam's UFO light/fans. I never got cold in the house but it frosted up pretty good. Ceiling dripped a little bit too toward the end of the night. All I can think is it was because of the extreme cold, and the 8 hrs on the ice.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonkapat states:Hubs are the best shacks in the wind as the fabric is under tension. A flipover tub style house will blow away in heavy winds when your butt leaves the seat so they need to be tied also. I have never had to use more than 4 stakes ever for a hub house. Don't listen to agronomist as he doesn't know his head from his a$$ and who would believe anyone from iowa talk about ice fishing anyway.

Have we really sunk to this level that we need to call people out like this? It's called an opinion. Like it or not.

Tonkapat states:Hubs are the best shacks in the wind as the fabric is under tension. A flipover tub style house will blow away in heavy winds when your butt leaves the seat so they need to be tied also. I have never had to use more than 4 stakes ever for a hub house. Don't listen to agronomist as he doesn't know his head from his a$$ and who would believe anyone from iowa talk about ice fishing anyway.

Have we really sunk to this level that we need to call people out like this? It's called an opinion. Like it or not.

+1. Been seeing this more and more, very disappointing

I learned my lesson today. During summer most of us pay attention to when there is just too much wind to go but after today I'm going to keep it in mind before putting up any portable. Went for the Minnesota portable fish house ride in a 2 man flipover. Anchors held, both staps broke or pulled out of tub, tub flipped over while I was seated sending me to the ice in front, next dragged me about 40 yard before I escaped. Ice fishing gear scattered over 350 yards of ice all the way to shore and to put the icing on the cake the house hit and damaged someone elses truck parked by shore. With how the wind was howling, should've just stayed home or sat on a bucket.

Ouch, not good. We gave up around noon when the wind was still around 15-20mph.

Sorry for your bad luck, glad you didn't get hurt.

I was out there yesterday in the bitter cold and wind in my 4000T. My shack was pretty well frozen when I too it out of the bag which caused the poles to not pop up perfectly. A little time with a heater on and it was fine.

We were using a mr. heater cooker and it stayed warm enough.

had my fatfish 949 out on saturday in the wind. I got scammed in to buying the digger anchor ice angels, tryed to use them in that wind and they didnt hold for anything! ended up chasing the house once. so then we used the eskimo brand screw in type that came with the house, we screwed four of them on the outside, two with bungees on the non-wind side and two with rachet straps on the windy side and after banking up the house we had zero issues with the wind and keeping warm. I would NEVER recommend the ice angels to my worst enemy!

i set mine up yesterday granted it wasnt as windy as saturday. My one question to anyone else who as a QF3 i only had 2 tie down ropes with my stakes but 6 screw in steaks anyone else have that?

Yes. My set-up came with 6 anchors and two tie-down ropes. I switched out the ropes for some heavier duty cordage that is also yellow instead of black. (better chance of seeing it at night) I don't like the sliding piece of plastic that is there to tighten down the rope. I just tie a taught-line hitch.

I too bring a drill and pre-drill before screwing the anchors in. However I have been having the ice splinter and pop up in chunks. Maybe this is because of the slush re-freezing from last week.

My question to you guys is: When screwing in the anchors, do you put them in straight down or slightly tipped away from the shelter?

i set mine up yesterday granted it wasnt as windy as saturday. My one question to anyone else who as a QF3 i only had 2 tie down ropes with my stakes but 6 screw in steaks anyone else have that?

Yeah they come with only 6 anchors. Days like saturday require 8 anchors. I predrill a hole quick and pop in the eskimo anchors.

Get some of these so you can easily and quickly adjust the side tensions to snug.

full-26433-29161-rr18cat.jpg

Quote:
Yeah they come with only 6 anchors. Days like saturday require 8 anchors. I predrill a hole quick and pop in the eskimo anchors.

Get some of these so you can easily and quickly adjust the side tensions to snug.

I just bought two of those yesterday and they are awesome i will be adding 2 more and some better anchors cause the clam ones are carp

I never had a problem with Clam's anchors until this bitter cold. Since then I've bent 2 and broke off one trying to screw it out. They go in hard, and come out harder... I'm going to get a few different brands so I can figure out which I like and have some spares. I don't have room to bring a drill with